Another Day, Another Dollar: Prologue for Vasdutch

Blame it on the droid, blame it on the Empire, blame it on your genes. Life was simple until that damned silver-skinned tin can brought you the message, and now the whole universe is getting turned on it's ear.

It would be better, far better, if you didn't know. But now you do, and there's no going back.
Sandcrawler
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Another Day, Another Dollar: Prologue for Vasdutch

Post by Sandcrawler » Thu October 21 04 ; 3 49 pm

The Duck sits in her berth, quietly issuing steam from her generator cooling vents. Power lines snake from her maintenance hatches to the dockside facilities, steadily feeding her with power and coolant. Everything looks great, and aside from a few nicks and dings, she's in fine shape.

Except, of course, for that gaping hole in her starboard side.

Vincane shakes his head at the damage. The pilot of the other freighter had hightailed it out of there fast enough after he'd hit the Duck during departure maneuvers from Farsight Station. The damage had been done, the ship temporarily crippled, and Vincane could almost hear the credits fall from his pockets.

The Quarren technician before him regards the damage happily, mentally adding up parts and labor for the repairs. Vincane waits beside him, prepared for the worst.

It's even worse than that.

The Quarren looks at him with greed in it's small eyes, "Ah, yes.. Your price is thirteen thousand for complete repairs. I can temporarily patch it, of couse, but I cannot warranty any problems that arise in flight, or repair any of the damaged systems. Perhaps... five thousand for the patch?"
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

Tanoc
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl

Post by Tanoc » Mon October 25 04 ; 4 34 pm

Vasdutch is not impressed. He has enough trouble keeping the 'Duck on the go with out blind stickjockey's slamming into her in port and then taking off.

"5000 credits for patchup repairs?? Where the hell is the guy who hit me... why is he not paying to repair my ship!!"

Vas will attempt to barter the price of the repairs down. When he gets the best price possible. "You get the repairs started I will get your money."

Once that is arranged Vas will take off to find some paying customers to pay for repairs.

OOC have I paid for the docking fees and all that yet? If not what is my 'bill' going to be so I can get payed up to depart.

Sandcrawler

Post by Sandcrawler » Mon October 25 04 ; 5 02 pm

Vas haggles with the Quarren for fifteen minutes, running over the list of needed repairs in order to get the Duck ready for the pressures of space travel...

-repairs to the starboard hull stiffeners and crossmembers
-repair starboard pressure hull
-apply temporary patch to hull plating

Unresolved issues:

-repair starboard side sensor array
-repair starboard laser turret
-reroute secondary lifesupport relays
-repair backup generator

The price that he negotiates with the Quarren is 3900 credits for the temporary repairs and another 9800 for the repairs to the various damaged subsystems.

Vas stalks off after signing the various work orders. He thanks his luck that he'd had enough of a profit from his last run to pay off his docking and resupply fees for another two days.

Hoping beyond hope for a change in fortune, Vas pulls his datapad out and begins uploading the replies to his job postings on Coruscant. To his immediate surprise, two hits come up immediately.

The first is from a passenger broker in the Alpha section of the city. Two students travelling to Garos. The fee negotiated was 1500 credits for the pair. Not bad for a two hop jump. Of course, after the broker takes his 5%, Vas is only left with 1425. Still, not bad.

The second is booked from a freelance booker from the lower levels. Two passengers going to Ruan, a one hop jump that would net him another 1500 credits.

Vas smiles. Accomodations might be tight, but his ship would be full, and funds would almost cover the cost of his repairs.

As the pilot sighs, a man walks into the hangar...

OOC: Enter Vincane...
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

Tanoc

Post by Tanoc » Tue October 26 04 ; 1 33 pm

Once sure that he has enough 'fares' to get off the planet. Vas goes to talk to the air controller and find out who ran into his ship ..... Vas now has a score to settle.

Erik Nimblehands

Post by Erik Nimblehands » Tue October 26 04 ; 3 50 pm

Upon walking into the hangar, the first thing that catches Vincane's attention is the Dancing Duck, the second is the gaping hole in her hull. "How is this thing supposed to get me to the Dathomir system?" he wonders aloud, looking for the captain. Seeing a man wander around out of sight, he will hurry after him, calling out "Hey! Do you know where the captain of this vessel is?"
Say no to E-Books! Plant a tree today so that your kids can enjoy a real book tomorrow!

Sandcrawler

Post by Sandcrawler » Tue October 26 04 ; 7 50 pm

Not even before Vincance's words finish echoing through the hangar, two youths walk in. The first is very tall and somewhat lanky. The other, significantly shorter. They both walk with the unsure ungainliness of youth.

Uvuriel03

The adventure begins

Post by Uvuriel03 » Wed October 27 04 ; 9 24 am

Existing the taxi, Hagon grabs his gear and luggage. Looking at Pordean, who seemed to be pouting over his inability to say a proper good bye to Ms. Hathaway, he said "Cheer up, I am sure Ms Hathaway understood that you had to hurry to get here ontime. Besides, you heard her, she said this was a once in lifetime opportunity. Come on, we better hurry or we will miss our flight." With that said, Hagon grabbed his gear and luggage and enter the ship's docking area. Seeing the great gapping hole staring at him, his mutters out loud "What the hell happened the ship . . . This is got to be some kind of a joke. " Dropping his luggage, he rushes over for a closer look. Surely the headmaster wouldn't risk their lives like this. No, no he wouldn't have. He must not know about the condition the ship is in. Looking over to Pordean, he added"I hope the captain of the ship wasn't responcible for this. Otherwise we are in for one hella of bumpy ride.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed October 27 04 ; 9 33 am

Pordean can really only muster a nod. This last several months have been rather depressing for him, and now that Ms Hathaway is no longer there to cheer him up, things just weren't as cheerful as his classmate stated them to be.

Pordean looked at the ship wearily. Lokking from top to bottum, it was not what he had expected.

Pordean pushed his oversized sun shades up his nose and marched behind his best friend.

Sandcrawler

Post by Sandcrawler » Wed October 27 04 ; 9 52 am

OOC: Just clarification for everyone...

-Dax and Jerub are currently at their penthouse packing

-Pordean and Hagon just arrived and got a good look at their transporation. They're here just to meet their captain and get a look at the ship.

-Vincane has just flagged down Vasdutch

-Vasdutch is on his way to the dock's control tower to find out what his options are to go after the freighter that damaged him. Vincane just flagged him down. Both of you are still in the hangar and have noticed the two newcomers enter.

-Repairs have just commenced on the Duck. A crew of three droids and three technicians are assembling under the ship and considering starting to preplan almost thinking about getting to work :-).

-Vas' finances are looking like this:
-cash on hand: 0 credits
-cash currently incoming from passengers (Dax, Jerub, Pordean, and Hagon): 2925 credits
-amount owing for temporary repairs to the Duck: 3900 credits
-current cargo contents of the Duck can be found by clicking here.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Wed October 27 04 ; 11 55 am

OOC - MY $$ isn't going into a community fund!

Tanoc

Post by Tanoc » Wed October 27 04 ; 2 59 pm

Vas turns around to the person asking if he 'knows where the captain is'. "That would be me bucko, I was just on the way to find out who hit my ship so I can go find them myself."

Realizing he may be a paying customer, "what can I do for you. If you are looking for transport that can be arrainged. They will be able to get my ship spaceworthy in a couple of hours."

Seeing the two young 'gentlemen' approaching, "I will be with you in a moment."

Erik Nimblehands

Post by Erik Nimblehands » Wed October 27 04 ; 9 15 pm

"That sopunds wonderful, Captain..." Waiting for the man to introduce himself, Vincane looks the man over carefully. If nothing is forthcoming from the man, he will wait. If he answers, Vincane offers his own name. "I am Vincane Firth. I need transportation to the Dathomir system, if that isn't out of your way. How much would that cost me?" The woodsy young man seems on more familiar ground, dickering over a price as long as he keeps the ship out of his head, not having traveled in space before.
Say no to E-Books! Plant a tree today so that your kids can enjoy a real book tomorrow!

Tanoc

Post by Tanoc » Thu October 28 04 ; 9 18 am

"Nice to meet you Vincane, I am Vasdutch. I am sure we can work out an deal for your transportation. The Dathomir system, eh (OOC yeah Vas must be a Canadian) ..... Well let me think.

OOC Need to know how many jumps the Dathomir system is away .... seems to cost 750 for a one system jump..... he looks like a nice fellow we should start at 1100 per jump and bargain from there.

Uvuriel03

Lucky duck

Post by Uvuriel03 » Thu October 28 04 ; 9 29 am

Watching as several droids twirl past them along with a couple technicians, Hagon spends a few moments watch in fascination as they begin to make the necessary repairs to the ship. Turning to Pordean, he said"Well, it looks like we won't be leaving anytime soon. Hearing who he presumed was the captain speaking, Hagon's eyes followed the sound of the voice. Seeing that the captain was busy speaking with a customer, he turned to Pordean and said"Well as soon as we speak to the captain we should have some time to kill what do you think we should do till take off time?"

Sandcrawler

Post by Sandcrawler » Thu October 28 04 ; 10 32 am

Tanoc wrote:OOC Need to know how many jumps the Dathomir system is away .... seems to cost 750 for a one system jump..... he looks like a nice fellow we should start at 1100 per jump and bargain from there.
OOC (Vasdutch): The Dathomir system is actually about five jumps off. Standard fare would most likely be in the three to four thousand credit range, though as Dathomir is a bit on the remote side, a surcharge may be negotiated.

Return to “Dark Legacy”