Vow of Poverty

Here is a place to find character sheets, character creation utilities, and other character design tools and resources.

*Please note that all the repctive owners and entities hold all the copywrite information to thier works and images. RPGHQ simply makes these available to our members for personal use on this site only.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Vow of Poverty

Post by Genghis » Sun March 30 08 ; 6 01 am

Actually have the chance to play a table-top game as a PC... Can someone PM me a decsription of Vow of Poverty as I can't afford to buy Exalted Deeds when 4.0 is around the corner?
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Re: Vow of Poverty

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue April 01 08 ; 5 35 pm

Sacred Vow
Vow of Poverty

The actual benefits of Vow of Poverty are based on your character level and are designed to off-set the bonuses you'd get for wearing fairly standard magical equipment. Important note: with the exception of bonus exalted feats, you gain all of these bonuses retroactively. That is, if you only pick up Vow of Poverty at level 6, you still gain all the 1st through 6th level bonuses, plus the rest as you gain levels, except for the bonus exalted feats. In order to get the bonus exalted feat at level 2, you must take Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty at 1st level, which usually means you have to be a human (flaws and other weird rules may help too).

Summary of VoP Benefits:
1st: AC bonus +4
2nd: bonus exalted feat
3rd: AC bonus +5, endure elements
4th: exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
5th: sustenance
6th: AC bonus +6, deflection +1, bonus exalted feat
7th: resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2
8th: natural armor +1, mind shielding, bonus exalted feat
9th: AC bonus +7
10th: exalted strike +2 (good), damage reduction 5/magic, bonus exalted feat
11th: ability score enhancement +4/+2
12th: AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance, bonus exalted feat
13th: resistance +2, energy resistance 5
14th: exalted strike +3, freedom of movement, bonus exalted feat
15th: AC bonus +9, ability score enhancement +6/+4/+2
16th: natural armor +2, bonus exalted feat
17th: exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration
18th: AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing, bonus exalted feat
19th: ability score enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2, damage reduction 10/evil
20th: exalted strike +5, energy resistance 15, bonus exalted feat

AC Bonus (Su): These are exalted bonuses to AC. This bonus does not apply to touch attacks and does not hinder incorporeal touch attacks. Brilliant energy weapons, however, do not ignore this bonus. Does not stack with armor bonus.

Bonus Exalted Feats: Unlike other bonuses, you don't gain these retroactively (shucks). If you need help finding other exalted feats, try this site. Limit the search to Exalted Feats and presto.

Endure Elements (Ex): As the spell, constant effect. An extraordinary ability, so it can't be dispelled, etc.

Exalted Strike (Su): Enhancement bonuses to all attack and damage rolls; effectively your weapons are all +1 or better as you increase in level. At 10th level they're also considered "good" for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Fear the holy walking stick of virtue!

Sustenance (Ex): Don't need to eat or drink anymore, but you can if you feel like it.

Deflection (Su): Deflection bonuses to AC.

Resistance (Ex): bonuses to all saving throws.

Ability Score Enhancement (Ex): At 7th level you gain a +2 to any score. Chose it carefully, though, because at 11th level that score increases by +2 again, and a second score gains +2. At 15th level both of those scores increase by +2 again, each, and a third score gets +2, etc, etc.

Natural Armor (Ex): Natural armor bonuses to AC.

Mind Shielding (Ex): Immunity to detect thoughts, discern lies and any attempt to discern your alignment. It is Ex and always on, which rocks.

Damage Reduction (Su): Duh.

Greater Sustenance (Ex): Breathing is for chumps.

Energy Resistance (Ex): Resistance to all elements: acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic energy. Starts at 5, jumps to 15 at level 20. Why it doesn't go to 10 at some point I don't know. Worth house-ruling IMHO.

Freedom of Movement (Ex): Continual, can't be dispelled. Freaking amazing for spellcasters, as you can't ever be grappled, ever, ever, did I mention ever?

Regeneration (Ex): Heal 1 point of damage per level every hour rather than every day. This can't he aided by the Heal skill, but oh well. Nonlethal damage heals at 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. Since you heal nonlethal damage like nobody's business (and can essentially run without ever getting tired), you have freedom of movement, you don't sleep, and you don't need to breathe (unlike chumps), it is your moral obligation to run across the bottom of an ocean if only because you can.

True Seeing (Su): As the spell, continually.

~Ginger

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Wed April 02 08 ; 9 59 am

Wow, thanks to you, derrick, and Spyder for the info. Hypo, if having this data posted here violates any copyright laws, feel free to take it down now.

Gingerbread, how did you get access to the info on those links? Is it a paid sub.scription?
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed April 02 08 ; 11 08 am

[quote="Genghis";p="75963"]Wow, thanks to you, derrick, and Spyder for the info. Hypo, if having this data posted here violates any copyright laws, feel free to take it down now.

Gingerbread, how did you get access to the info on those links? Is it a paid sub.scription?[/quote]

I don't think it does actually.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Re: Vow of Poverty

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri April 04 08 ; 1 51 pm

Yeah, we can always delete the post, but honestly, why own the book if I can't show it to friends I play with? It isn't terribly different than passing it across a table. I know lawyers may disagree, but morally.. meh. I also paraphrased pretty significantly, as you can see, ha ha.

As for that site, I have no idea what their deal is. I don't advertise those links often because I don't want them to get so much attention that they might get shut down. I think they may be licensed somehow, as they represent a very larged "shared universe" type game where players in different cities all play in the same game world. In order to make it work, they have to be consistent with the rules.

There are tons of typos, but otherwise it's pretty accurate stuff. They're missing some books, such as Tome of Battle (apart from about two feats, I never liked that one much at all) and there are tons of typos (most seem like the type that text-recognition scanner software might slip up on) but those are my only complaints. Handy stuff!

~Ginger

Return to “Character Design”