Choices to make

A group of adventures almost haphazardly thrown together has just entered Parlainth. Their first mission to rescue a young looking woman from cadaver men was successful. When the battle is over, they find that she is not as young as she looks but has lived many generations, more than most people could even imagine living. Sonya has joined this group of brave adventures for now; if she likes them, she might join them fully and make them true Children of the Phoenix.

Given to the entire group is an amulet that, can unlock the secrets to join an ancient order known as the Children of the Phoenix. Sonya is the only surviving member of the true order. The Children of the Phoenix were bastions of light in a time that darkness ruled the lands and to be of the light was not only dangerous but deadly at times.

As the group with their new addition, explore Parlainth in search of three namegivers who have been lost since before The Scourge, they will learn to work together and learn what the amulets truly mean for them. What none of them know, not even Sonya, is that Anaya her spiritual though physical in Parlainth, has been planting the amulets in many different places, and there are others being drawn to Sonya. In addition, there are those powers that wish to capture Sonya and use her powers as a weapon on their enemies.

Moderator: annymfilliu

User avatar
annymfilliu
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun December 05 04 ; 1 19 am
Location: La Junta, Co
Contact:

Choices to make

Post by annymfilliu » Sat May 19 07 ; 7 21 pm

As you reach the middle of town you see another group of about ten adepts walking towards you, two or three of them are pointing at Sonya. One of them a particularly looking evil Human Swordsmaster already has his sword pulled and heads the group.

"Well Gents, it seems we have a problem here." Says the human.

"Yeah Gerik, seems we have someone in the way of our bounty, what should we do about them." Says an ork who is jumping from foot to foot in anticipation of a fight.

"Well that depends on these fine adepts here." Replies the human.

Stepping up with just the right amount of cockiness in her step Evalyn asks, "And just who is this bounty on, gentlemen?"

Smirking at Evalyn's posture and attitude Garik says, "the girl there, about 50 gold on her head, only 20 if we have to bring her in dead."

Smiling as if she knows something they don't, "Ah is that all, well fine you can have her, she is more trouble than she is worth anyway." Turning to her three newly rescued friends, "Well you three, this is their problem," pointing at the rest, "not ours, let us be going, I am sure the four of us can find Rajain and find out why he left us all in our prisons." Turning to the rest, Well it was nice working with you all, talk to Lena about your pay if you make it through them, but I didn't ask for this," pulls amulet out of her bag, and tosses it to Sonya, who catches it and stuffs it in her own bag, "and I definitely didn't ask for this." She reaches back with dagger in hand and cuts open where the crystal was put in her neck, and pulls the crystal out and tosses it to Thomas. "Here maybe being a deathwalker you can do something with this."

As the crystal leaves her hand Thomas, Wengar, and Grollic feel this sudden pain in the back of their necks. Thomas barely manages passed the pain to catch the crystal, as it touches his hand the pain starts to reside, but there is still some there, but it is more manageable.

"Adios, bois, I doubt we will ever meet again." Evalyn turns and start to walk away, the other three seem to have mixed opinions on what to do, but follow the only person they know in this world even though they don't feel right about it.

As the four walk away, you are now four against ten. Sonya turns to look at the three of you, "I don't want you all to get into trouble over me, let me go, I will be okay, after all if they try to hurt me I'll just find a fire, and take care of them." She smiles, but it is a smile of one trying to look stronger than she is, and you are not sure who she is trying to convince more you or herself.

"That is right honey, come quietly and we won't hurt your friends here, fight us and their all dead." Garik says with a sneer.

(okay so what will it be you going to leave her to these slavers, or come to her rescue, and if so who is going to come to your rescue, now that Evalyn and trio have left you?)
Those who underestimate the Power of the Human spirit strengthened by the Holy Spirit, are destined to fail.

Children of the Phoenix - Sonya, and the rest of the world (GM)

User avatar
darkrevni
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun July 04 04 ; 8 17 am
Location: Lafayette, LA, US

Re: Choices to make

Post by darkrevni » Sat May 19 07 ; 8 29 pm

Thomas catches the crystal and rubbing it he places it in a pouch to inspect later. Looking back he gives a slight nod to Grollic and Wengar.

“We seem to have a problem.” He says as he moves in front of Sonya.

“You say she is worth 50 Gold? So 5 Gold per person? Interesting…” The Nethermancer moves up to face the Swordmaster.

In a casual voice, “Anyone who joins our side I will pay 8 gold right now. Any takers?”

He continues to look the Swordmaster in the eye as he talks, his voice mocking and Cruel, “Except you… You have fabulous skin, I think I would like to use the skin on your chin to make a bag to keep these crystals. We just killed a dozen changelings and I have their wings here I wanted to make into a cape. Are double breasted capes in season this year?”

He throws a bag that opens upon impact with the ground, spilling grisly unwashed wings. “The Horror Stalker back there has the gold… Cause the Lady is staying with us"

**Thomas uses the conversation to hold Frighten Step 9**

User avatar
annymfilliu
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun December 05 04 ; 1 19 am
Location: La Junta, Co
Contact:

Re: Choices to make

Post by annymfilliu » Sat May 19 07 ; 9 33 pm

[quote="darkrevni";p="70837"]
In a casual voice, “Anyone who joins our side I will pay 8 gold right now. Any takers?”

He continues ~~~~ season this year?”[/i]

He throws a bag that opens upon impact with the ground, spilling grisly unwashed wings. “The Horror Stalker back there has the gold… Cause the Lady is staying with us"

[/quote]

Four of the mercs with Garik step forward, as Garik takes a step or two back, one of them speaks up for the rest, "Sir, I like your math better than his, give us each 5 gold and we will just leave so you can handle them yourselves."

Garik's face show anger at the mercs, but his eyes seem to never land near Thomas, he will look at anyone except Thomas. The spokesmen of the four seems to be scared of Thomas but is waiting for an answer with his hand held out.

Watching this Sonya at first seems to get really excited, but quickly catches herself. Then she opens her bag and pulls out 20 coins and taps Thomas on the shoulder. "Here give them these."
Those who underestimate the Power of the Human spirit strengthened by the Holy Spirit, are destined to fail.

Children of the Phoenix - Sonya, and the rest of the world (GM)

User avatar
darkrevni
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun July 04 04 ; 8 17 am
Location: Lafayette, LA, US

Re: Choices to make

Post by darkrevni » Sat May 19 07 ; 10 04 pm

Thomas reaches over and takes the coins without looking. Then he hands them to one of the mercs.

“Right four on six… I think you are out-numbered Swordmaster. You look nervous… why is that?”

**Weave first thread to bone dance while I talk. Threadweaving = 9 Then Cast bone Dance on the Swordmaster w/ Spell Casting = 11**

Thomas Begins dancing the Swordmaster back into the waiting swords of Grollic and the others.

“Dance Monkey!!!” he says with his eyes sparkling.

zork1974
Gamer|Gamer Guy|Gamer Girl
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu February 17 05 ; 7 50 pm

Re: Choices to make

Post by zork1974 » Sun May 20 07 ; 8 27 am

Seizing this opportunity, Grollic will launch into an Aggressive Attack against the swordmaster. He hopes that wounding the leader will cause the remaining foes to lose their morale.

The stout Dwarf will smile at Thomas and compliment, "Excellent tactics. You would make a fine commander."

Unless I"m mistaken, I believe my Wood Skin is still up. That should help.

Charles
"Quando Omni Flunkus Mortati"
--Red Green

User avatar
annymfilliu
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun December 05 04 ; 1 19 am
Location: La Junta, Co
Contact:

Re: Choices to make

Post by annymfilliu » Mon May 21 07 ; 12 05 am

As the Garik dances under the control of Thomas' spell, Grollic slices open his chest from shoulder to shoulder, then as Grollic bring s the sword back for another swing, Garik's sword arm impels itself on to Grollic's sword through the wrist, causing Garik to drop his sword. One of the remaining 5 mercs approaches to attack Thomas and misses by a mile. The other four swing around Grollic and the Swordsmaster to attack both Wengar and Sonya. Sonya seems very intimidated by the mercs and sort of backs up a few steps.

K Grollic has the swordmaster, Thomas has one merc trying to attack him, Wengar you have four on you, two are trying to keep you busy, and the other two are trying to get around you to grab Sonya who suddenly seems frightened of everyone. Scarron and Deroj they are within combat distance of the Restless Troll.
Those who underestimate the Power of the Human spirit strengthened by the Holy Spirit, are destined to fail.

Children of the Phoenix - Sonya, and the rest of the world (GM)

User avatar
Captain Cutlass
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu April 12 07 ; 1 58 am

Re: Choices to make

Post by Captain Cutlass » Mon May 21 07 ; 4 30 am

"I guess my bath will have to wait then." Grumbles the elementalist.
After following Deroj through the door to see what the ruckuss is all about Scarron observes the scene.
To the T'skrang it is unclear what is happening altough he suspects that the 10 assailants are not officially affiliated with Haven.
Instead of joining the fray he decides to even the odds a bit by casting Icy Surface underneath the bountyhunters' feet.

Before he does this he whispers to Deroj: "Are these the Namegivers we're looking for?"

Threadweaving (Icy Surface_8) [dice]d10 = 92434173 = Fixed[/dice] + [dice]d8 = 334163111 = Fixed[/dice]

Edited for diceroll, still learning to work with this forum :)
1 of two threads attached

User avatar
darkrevni
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun July 04 04 ; 8 17 am
Location: Lafayette, LA, US

Re: Choices to make

Post by darkrevni » Mon May 21 07 ; 12 58 pm

Thomas holds Bone Dance on the Swordmaster as he attempts to 'dance' and jump out of the way of his attacker.

**Holding Bone Dance till Swordmaster is dead or Unconcious.**

Abelard
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon April 16 07 ; 1 03 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Choices to make

Post by Abelard » Mon May 21 07 ; 3 13 pm

Before [Scarron] does this he whispers to Deroj: "Are these the Namegivers we're looking for?"
Deroj does a quick headcount of the Namegivers involved in the squabble. "Well, it's about the same number altogether, but I don't think they're all on the same side. Oh - that elf must be the Nethermancer that Shadowwolf mentioned," he chuckleds as the human Adept mimics the elf's moves. "Oooh, that had to hurt!" he gasps as the dwarf chops the poor dancing human across the torso. "I could watch this all day, just give me a snack and..." he trails off as he scans the rest of the scene and finally notices the troll and the elven girl. "Scarron! That's her! The elven girl! And is looks like that troll is trying to protect her!"

Even though it was something he'd have sworn by the Passions that he'd never do, Deroj found himself preparing to charge into the melee, completely ignoring the part of his brain screaming at him to take at least a moment to look for a better solution. Something about that girl was... magic, and Deroj knew she had to be protected at all costs. He drew his shortsword and charged at one of the menacing figures...

Deroj will make an Agressive Attack using Surprise Strike at the menacing Adept who is going around Wengar towards Sonya that is closest to him. If my math is right, that's Step 13 plus a karma point to attack, plus another 2 steps if it's a Blindside attack, and Step 19 for damage (wow, it's a shame I can't do that all the time! :wink: ). I also take 1 point of Strain and my Physical Defense is down to 6 for the rest of the round. With a little luck, I'll be able to then shift to interpose myself in front of Sonya, too.

boneguard
Gamer|Gamer Guy|Gamer Girl
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue February 08 05 ; 4 12 pm
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Post by boneguard » Mon May 21 07 ; 4 03 pm

Very agressively, Wengar attempts to keep all for of his opponent busy...with trust and slash, in order to keep them away from Sonya.

User avatar
annymfilliu
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun December 05 04 ; 1 19 am
Location: La Junta, Co
Contact:

Re: Choices to make

Post by annymfilliu » Mon May 21 07 ; 4 25 pm

(Just some quick housekeeping, don't use the dice roller, I do combat test based on stats, and only use dice if situation is close...)

An icy surface forms under every ones feet, Garik falls ripping Grollic’s sword from his arm, and hits the ground still moving under the spell, but from his back. Grollic you barely manage to keep your footing as the ice forms and your sword is ripped out of Garik’s arm, and it takes your action to just stay standing. Thomas while dancing and leading the now downed swordmaster, you manage to keep your footing on the ice and dodge your attacker, the Ork, who slips and land hard on his rear end, and starts cursing about stupid bounties and magic users. Wengar keeps his footing with a firm wide stance, while thrusting and slashing his sword at all four of his and Sonya’s attackers. Sonya stops moving and appears to be hovering a bit above the ice. Sonya is moving back away from the fighting. Of the two trying to keep Wengar busy, one falls flat on his back and the other has to jump to miss his comrade and Wengar’s blade. The two trying to get around Wengar and to Sonya both fall and slide passed her and Deroj. Deroj as you charge in, your mind starts to scream again, as it is everything you can do, to just remain standing on the ice as your reach Sonya and Wengar, but as one merc slides passed you, your sword finds itself lodged in his gut, and stuck in the ice.

(okay so one swordmaster still dancing but now on his back, one ork very mad with a sore bum, and trying to get up, two mercs on their backs, one still sliding a bit, the other pinned to the ground by Deroj's sword, one other on his back staying down out of reach of slashing and thrushing troll sword, and another standing but still dodging said troll sword. Sonya seems to be backing away from the whole thing, Grollic, Thomas and Wengar you feel this complete dread coming from Sonya. Scarron from the out side you see that Sonya, (the girl) looks practically scared to death of everyone, and is floating away from the battle just above your ice slick. You also see Shadowwolf along with a large troll, and a few various name givers running, from the de.scription given to you by Captain Vrukkos the troll following Shadowwolf is Torgak, the Sherif of Haven and main person responsible for Haven being here.)
Those who underestimate the Power of the Human spirit strengthened by the Holy Spirit, are destined to fail.

Children of the Phoenix - Sonya, and the rest of the world (GM)

User avatar
darkrevni
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun July 04 04 ; 8 17 am
Location: Lafayette, LA, US

Re: Choices to make

Post by darkrevni » Mon May 21 07 ; 5 02 pm

After a frantic mambo to keep his feet, Thomas holds still allowing the spell the fade.

Looking around he spots Sonya backing away. “Careful lady Sonya, we have your back, just like we said we did.” Not sure how to sound inspirational or happy, he shrugs and turns back to the melee.

**Cast Spirit Dart at attacking Ork**

User avatar
Captain Cutlass
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu April 12 07 ; 1 58 am

Re: Choices to make

Post by Captain Cutlass » Tue May 22 07 ; 2 23 am

Altough on board of airships Scarron's Icy surface is a deadly spell on the ground it is more like a...comical thing really. Scarron can't help but laugh as he sees the combat escalate in some kind of contest to keep ones footing.
As he spots Torgak and Shadowwolf approaching the Elementalist holds back his Flamebolt spell, given the recent fire accident in the slums he thinks casting fire spells might not be such a good idea.
Deroj said: "Scarron! That's her! The elven girl! And is looks like that troll is trying to protect her!"
With that the human enters the fray.

"Right! To the rescue! Fear not damsel, we are here to help."

Scarron moves towards the two bountyhunters trying to get around Wengar and to Sonya and lowers his ornate spear at them.

"Give it up parasites, you won't be taking this prize." Scarron declares with a warning growl.

zork1974
Gamer|Gamer Guy|Gamer Girl
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu February 17 05 ; 7 50 pm

Re: Choices to make

Post by zork1974 » Tue May 22 07 ; 2 44 pm

Grollic will carefully retrieve his sword, hopefully staying upright. He will then survey the situation, trying to size up who's still a threat to Sonja.

If there's any action left this round after getting the sword, he will carefully walk off the ice patch and engage the next nearest enemy merc. (If not, then that comes next round)

Charles
"Quando Omni Flunkus Mortati"
--Red Green

Abelard
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon April 16 07 ; 1 03 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Choices to make

Post by Abelard » Tue May 22 07 ; 7 22 pm

"A resonding success!" Deroj thinks, stunned at the ferocity of his attack. He'd never actually stapled anyone to the ground before, and he's more than a little impressed with himself. His Thief training starts to kick back in, and Deroj starts looking at his victim to see if he's got an easily accessible coin purse... but then...

With the sixth sense that makes a good Thief, Deroj feels the approach of Authority Figures. Realizing that his current situation doesn't look, he tries a feeble tug to remove his sword but can't get good footing on the icy ground (and he makes a mental note to talk to Scarron about that spell later). Since running at this point seems pretty futile, Deroj tries to casually balance on the slick surface, edging away from his triumph of a moment ago, putting on his best "Who, me, officer?" attitude.

Post Reply

Return to “Children Of the Phoenix”