Game information (A LOT to read!)

This D&D Campaign is for *BEGINNERS ONLY*. Anybody who has never played D&D can join. How to play and the rules and such are all explained here, and if you have any other questions, the DM would love to help you out!
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin

Game information (A LOT to read!)

Post by Uvuriel03 » Wed March 23 05 ; 11 05 am

General Info:
We're using the Dungeons & Dragons edition 3.5. That doesn't matter much for you unless you want to make your own character.

Character Creation:
I will have pre-made characters available for you to play, and they can be customized to a certain extent. However, if you want to play something totally of your own creation, that's fine, too. I can explain it to you and it will take about a half-hour to an hour to create one over IM. And just to give you an idea of what your characters can be, here's some info out of the books on races and classes.

Races:
Human--Gets some extra level bonuses at 1st lvl.
Dwarf--More hardy (aka hit points) but not as charismatic. {They are best at Fighters}
Elf--More agile but less hardy {Best wizards}
Gnome--Hardier but not as strong {Best bards}
Half-Elf--Several passive diplomacy bonuses
Half-Orc--Stronger but not as smart and not as charismatic {Best Barbarians}
Halfling--More agile but not as strong {Best Rogues}

Classes:
Barbarian--A ferocious warrior who uses fury and instinct to bring down foes.
Bard--A performer whose music works magic--a wanderer, a tale-teller, and a jack-of-all-trades.
Cleric--A master of divine magic (AKA from the gods) and a capable warrior as well.
Druid--One who draws energy from the natural world to cast divine spells and gain strange magical powers.
Fighter--A warrior with exceptional combat capability and unequaled skill with weapons.
Monk--A martial artist whose unarmed strikes hit fast and hard--a master of exotic powers.
Paladin--A champion of justice and destroyer of evil, protected and strengthened by an array of divine powers.
Ranger--A cunning, skilled warrior of the wilderness.
Rogue--A tricky, skillful scout and spy who wins the battle by stealth rather than by brute force.
Sorcerer--A spellcaster with inborn magical ability.
Wizard--A potent spellcaster schooled in the arcane arts.

I'm using an 80 point buy system, starting at 0. I'd suggest you have nothing under 10, and nothing over 18. When you have a complete character sheet, send it to me, I'll check it over, and when you're clear (or when I give you the okay) you can start posting!
[hr]
Game Play:
D&D is mainly a verbal (or text) game. You don't need boards or cards or figures to play (although these things can help sometimes). However, to represent the different possibilities and chances of things happening, there has to be a way to represent the possibility of total failure, total perfection, and everything in between. To represent this, dice are used. I will explain how the Story and the Dice affect the game.

Story
Dungeon Master
If you think of D&D as a video game, the Dungeon Master (DM) is the computer. He/she plays all the bad guys, a few good guys, tells you what's going on, etc... There are different ways of "DMing", and each DM has his or her own style and rules. For example, when making a character online, one DM might have you roll dice to determine certain things for your character, while another might have you use a "point buy" system where you choose yourself.

The DM will post what your surroundings look like. He/she will also post any other people you talk to, called Non-Playable Characters (NPCs) because you the players do not play them. Depending on your DM, he/she might do dice rolls for you, or may let you do them on your own. When your group gets into battles, the DM lets you know what happens, if you hit, how much damage you do, what your enemies are doing, ect.

Players
You as the players post what your character says, how he/she interacts, what he/she does in battle, ect... Sometimes the DM will use your character for a post to let you know what happens. And if the result of an action you want your character to do isn't definate, then you need to post what you would do in the possible situations. For example, in a battle, if you are attacked by a goblin while you're scouting for your party, you might say "Billy will try to run away from the goblin and get back to his party. If the goblin chases him, though, then he'll turn around to fight it and yell for his party to come help him. He'll draw his longsword and swing it at the goblin." Then the DM will let you know what happens.

Almost anything is possible in D&D. Almost. You see, your character is like any other person, except better. At level one, your character can't do too much yet. He/she hasn't had enough experience. But as your character grows in levels and experience, he/she gains incredible abilities and can do more incredible things. For example, a level one monk might be able to jump pretty high. But a level twenty monk (20 is a VERY high level for any character to reach) can grab arrows out of the air, do sumersaults over ogres, or run across a rope suspended a thousand feet in the air. A level one fighter might be able to swing a sword really well, but a level 20 fighter can chop down multiple enemies in one hit, do a tremendous amount of damage with one blow, cut down enemies while riding a horse, etc... The higher level your character is, the more possibilities they have.

Dice
So you've heard a lot about dice and dice rolls. As stated earlier, dice represent the possibilities of anything from total failure to total perfection. There are 6 different kinds of dice that can be used, but the most common one is a "d20", or a 20-sided die. If you ever see something like 1d20 or 4d6, the first number means how many to roll, and the second number means how many sided-dice you should roll. So for a 1d20, roll one 20-sided die. For 4d6, roll four 6-sided dice. The lower the roll, the worse the result; the higher the roll, the better.
[hr]
That's all I can think of for now. I know it's a LOT to take in. If you don't understand something, don't worry about it. We'll go over it as we play, and you can always email or IM me with your questions.

If I think of anything else that should be put in here, I'll be sure to stick it in ASAP!

Return to “Beginner's Game”