Chapter II: Camp Diamond

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Chapter II: Camp Diamond

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri April 29 05 ; 10 43 pm

Chapter II

The carriage rolls through the bumpy cobblestone streets of Meer Lake and eventually to the south-western gates. Guards salute as the team of horses carry their precious cargo out of town.

"It is a three day trip to Coalton," the Countess relates as the carriage rolls onto the much smoother dirt road, "and another half day trip to Camp Diamond. Camp Eagle is closer, but Diamond is larger and closer to the mountains to boot. We'll be staying at inns along the way and stopping for lunch when it is convenient. If you have any needs - "

The Countess is cut off as the carriage comes to an abrupt halt. One of the guards reins her horses around the side in order to lean down to one of the windows. Elsabeth opens the window, sliding it down. A few stray drops of rain find their way inside.

"My Lady, pardon the interruption.. but there is a very large dog following us," says the guard. Part of her face is visible beneath the hood - its one of the twins.

"A dog?" the Countess asks, perplexed. "Uma, you stopped us for a dog?"

"A very large dog, my Lady," the guard explains, perhaps feeling a little silly now. "At first I thought it might have some kind of madness, the way it was following us, but now I'm not so certain."

The Countess seems at a loss. She looks to her fellow nobles for advice.
Last edited by Gingerbread Guy on Wed August 03 05 ; 6 07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin

Post by Uvuriel03 » Fri April 29 05 ; 11 22 pm

"Perhaps it's someone's familiar," Uvuriel suggests. "I'm going to get out to look at it."

If nobody tries to stop her, she'll get out of the cart (careful not to step on anybody) and take a good look at the dog with her spyglass from behind the protection of the guards.

((OOC: Making a spellcraft check on the dog.))

Syth77
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl

Post by Syth77 » Fri April 29 05 ; 11 22 pm

Mark steps into the conversation quickly.

"That would be my traveling companion Swiftblade. I hope he can come with us on the ride to Camp Diamond. Will you allow him to come in the coach with us madam?" asks Mark to the Countess.

Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin

Post by Uvuriel03 » Fri April 29 05 ; 11 24 pm

Uvuriel halted from getting out of her seat. Sitting back down sheepishly, she felt herself turn a bit pink. Oh well, at least it wasn't another mad familiar...

Morion Ava-lintitinwe
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Post by Morion Ava-lintitinwe » Sat April 30 05 ; 8 17 am

BJorn had tensed when he heard about the large dog, and still didn't relax, not until he was sure there was no danger.
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass and then you see it... White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat April 30 05 ; 10 20 am

The Countess smiles, but its nearly a wince. "A large, wet dog? In the coach?" she clarifies. "I don't think thats such a good idea."

Kord

Post by Kord » Sat April 30 05 ; 7 06 pm

Kel taur smiles and says "Perhaps your animal companion could just follow along side us or if there is room on top of the carriage your dog could lie there and we could cover him in some way?" Kel taur then looks to the countess to gauge if this idea is more suitable for her.

Syth77

Post by Syth77 » Sat April 30 05 ; 11 07 pm

"That would be a good idea Kel Taur. If that won't work however I can walk with him outside if need be" said Mark. He didn't like the idea of having Swiftblade walk outside, but he might have to for this troop.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat April 30 05 ; 11 50 pm

"The weather is frightfull out there," the Countess says, sounding genuinely concerned, "but if you wish to be outside with your friend, I understand." She smiles, having faith in the choices made by her chosen four.

In fact, the rain isn't nearly that bad - more of a thick drizzle than actual rain, and the Tangles recieves almost daily downpours several times stronger (although those living in the heart of the tangles have the benefit of the high forest canopy for shelter). At any rate, Swiftblade doesn't seem the least bit bothered by the weather. In truth, the enormous wolf is only concerned for Mark's safety, traveling as he is in the belly of the two-headed horse creature.

Syth77

Post by Syth77 » Sun May 01 05 ; 9 37 pm

"I guess Swiftblade can follow alongside us. I'll look out time to time just to make sure that he doesn't get seperated from the coach." Mark decides.

Kord

Post by Kord » Mon May 02 05 ; 3 39 am

Kel'Taur leans back into the seat and relaxes now that the situation was settled.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Mon May 02 05 ; 11 36 am

With that minor scare averted, the driver cracks the reins and the carriage lurches forwards once more.

The first leg of the journey passes without interruption. Swiftblade grows more and more at ease with the situation as they distance themselves from the city. Though still a little anxious at being in human lands, the big wolf is more comfortable in the endless farmland. He even makes a couple snacks out of a few tiny rock lizards that are common to the area: As the carriage rumbles by, the lizards are scared out of their shelters - easy prey for a skilled wolf.

At noon the convoy takes a quick rest for lunch, stopping in the community center of a little hamlet named Westchester Pass. Hardly even a village, Westchester Pass boasts but one inn, a cooper, a cobbler and a chandler. There are no other worthwhile services, except for a tiny chapel and a graveyard out back. The local reeve, a round-faced man with rediculously large moustaches is overjoyed to play host to the Countess and her noble entourage.

After a quick meal at the inn, it's back into the carriage for another several hours. Traveling well into the night, the group passes village after village until at last the Countess is satisfied. By the time the town of Whiterock is reached, the sky is black as coal and the rains have almost let up.

Home to Baron Whiterock, a tall and handsome half-elven noble, this town is not unlike a miniature version of Meer Lake. The buildings seem to share the same architect, and there are signs of a budding market district. It becomes most apparenty why the Countess chose Whiterock to stop when the Baron invites her and her companions to stay at his mansion.

The Baron's mansion is not nearly as impressive as the Countess' estate - only two stories tall and encompasing at most a quarter of the total area - but it is warm, dry, and much more welcoming than any inn. A seperate guest house contains eight bedrooms; ample accomodation for all.

Each of you is shown to your own room. They are roughly 20' square and feature a bed with a soft mattress and feather pillows, a writing desk and chair, cabinets, and a large armoire. Several servants are on hand to tend to the guests' needs.

[OOC: Just thought I'd put a stop in along the way in case some of you have stuff to do - spell research, for example. By the way, Swiftblade is once again too anxious to enter town. He hates being near human residences, but is content to wait at the edge of town for the carriage to come. There is only one road through town, so he's smart enough to figure out where to wait.]

Kord

Post by Kord » Mon May 02 05 ; 4 37 pm

Kel'Taur with put his things in his room and then see to his Hawk Talon, making sure to give the bird some food and water, he will nurture it's feathers since the bird has spent a good amount of time outdoors as of late. When he is done, he gives the command to guard his possessions and then makes his way to converse with the others before retiring for the night. If all goes well, he will memorize his normal spells in the morning.

Syth77

Post by Syth77 » Mon May 02 05 ; 11 47 pm

Mark stowes aside his possessions that he no longer need carry on him while he is staying at the mansion. He keeps his falcion in its sheath and attached to his belt for now as Mark finds his way towards the party members before the night is through.

Before exiting his room he calls for a servant to take care and watch his belongings.

Morion Ava-lintitinwe
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Post by Morion Ava-lintitinwe » Wed May 04 05 ; 10 38 am

Bjorn looks around the room, noting any stonemansory that there was. Not use to being noble, Bjorn simply hid away his belongings and then made to find where Kel'Taur, Uvuriel, Mark, or any others went.

Upon finding Kel still awake Bjorn walks up to him.

"Kel'Taur, I have a question for you. What we have to do in the mountains," Bjorn sighed, "is going to be very hard work. I worry that we are heading in blind. Have you thought over what we are going to do to accomplish what the Countess wants?"
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass and then you see it... White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

Return to “Chapter II”