Chapter One: The Summoning

It's the end of the Kingdom, and the end of its subjects. A terrible and powerful force has emerged, a new nation springing from the seas themselves, sucking the essence from the world to feed its terrible hunger.

There is one hope. Send the most powerful of the Kingdom's inhabitants to fight for the right to live...
User avatar
ChromeUsagi
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu December 09 04 ; 5 12 am
Location: On the dusty trail...

Post by ChromeUsagi » Mon August 01 05 ; 8 57 am

Freit wrote:"Looks like you'll go to some kind of important quest. Am I right?
I'm sure I would write and sing about your great works!"
Finn chuckles, his green eyes twinkling at the young bard's enthusiasm. "I'm sure you would, lad, and perhaps it would be a fine song," he says, his voice dropping in volume, "but as you say, this will be an important quest, and we may none of us return from it. You're too young to throw your life away for something you know nothing about." He turns back to the queen as Gnocrath answers, and the orc's response draws a raised eyebrow and a nod from the northlander.

As the elves and Guresh make their offers, Finn smiles noticeably. "I don't know who you picked from our armies for this voyage, Majesty, but a company of Highlanders would be most useful indeed. They're the finest scouts and rangers I've ever had the privilege to command, and I think we will need them." He leans back in his chair, taking another drink from his glass.

User avatar
Sandcrawler
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed August 27 03 ; 10 28 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post by Sandcrawler » Mon August 01 05 ; 11 28 am

Heldor nods, quiet up until now, "It is done, then. One hundred Elves from the East, a hundred Orc from the forests to the north, one hundred highlanders from Lord Cadogan's lands, and a crew of Guresh's finest sailors."

He turns to T'zoli, "It is only fair that a contigent of the Queen's Guard be put under your control, my dear. Use them well. A hundred men at your command."

He regards Iseult for a long moment before speaking, "And what of you, High Priestess? Will you bring a contingent of your servants as well?"
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

Angelica
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed February 23 05 ; 11 49 am
Location: Island of sorrow, tears and pain.

Post by Angelica » Tue August 02 05 ; 4 51 pm

Sandcrawler wrote:"And what of you, High Priestess? Will you bring a contingent of your servants as well?"[/color]

''My servants?'' She looks back at Heldor and speaks. ''My servants, how can they survive if they lost all faith in the Gods?''

She shakes her head and continues: ''I know not much of this Sir Heldor but I will do my best to call upon the Temple's souls that still carry at least some drops of faith, if not, then nothing will be lost, and I promise thee Sir Heldor''
~We need to learn to set our course by the stars, not by the light of every passing ship~
Image
~Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up~

User avatar
Sandcrawler
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed August 27 03 ; 10 28 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post by Sandcrawler » Wed August 03 05 ; 10 02 am

Heldor nods, "It is done, then. The Queen and I shall retire for the evening, leaving the rest of you to your discussions and planning. Three days hence, we shall meet you at the docks to offer you our blessings. Good evening, all."

With that, Alaise and Heldor rise and after all stand to say goodnight, retire through a side entrance.

Once the pair is gone, Guresh pops open another bottle of wine, "Now the party can begin in ernst." His voice is slightly slurred, but his fingers are cinfident as he pulls the cork and takes a long pull from the wine bottle.

OOC: Opportunity here for planning, if you deem it necessary. From what you understand, all provisions will be accounted for and loaded onto the ships already. The only additional planning will be in overall strategy, and any uncommon supplies or personnel that you might think you will need.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

User avatar
Utopia
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat June 11 05 ; 3 41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Utopia » Fri August 05 05 ; 6 57 am

T'zoli watches the Queen and Heldor leave. She leans back in her chair clamly for a moment. She shrugs to herself, her narrow, muscular shouders rollin up and then down. She sighs, looking around the tbale idly. "<i>Well, this is awkward... no one is talking... hrmm...</i>" She taps her gloved hand on the edge of her wine glass before turning to Guresh. She peers at him with her large black eyes as he swigs the wine from the bottle. A slow, easy smile stretches over her face and she giggles. She reaches to a bottle of wine herself and corks it, pouring a generous helping into her glass.

"Well... this is purty awkward an stuff ain't it?" she says breaking through the silence. She looks over to the bard and nods to him, "Why dun yah sing us ahnuthur song while we're all contemplatin our food an' drink an such. I rekkin thah air is purty heavy frum all thah thinkin goin on in thah headsah evaryone else, mebbe yah kin lighten thah air ah bit?" She lifts her sleek mahogany brows, a crease forming across her forehead as she does.

She moves her gloved hand to her glass and lifts it to her labrose mouth, taking a polite, yet deep swig. Soon what is in the glass is gone and she refills it from the bottle in front of her.
I don't want the world, I just want your half.

User avatar
Sandcrawler
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed August 27 03 ; 10 28 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post by Sandcrawler » Fri August 05 05 ; 10 08 am

The two Elves smile warmly at T'zoli's words. L'hara speaks, her voice melodious and warm, "Well spoken, Lady T'zoli. Please, minstrel, take up your instrument. We would love to hear you play again."

Lahul turns to Finn, "Lord Cadogan, it will be a pleasure to have your sword at our side in this journey. Tales of your exploits in the Northern Reaches have reached even the ears of Elves"

Gnocrath snorts and snatches up his wine goblet, "Typical that the tales of the human travels far while the true tales of bravery from the Orc are lost to the winds." The Orc takes a long drink, draining the cup entirely before setting it back down.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

User avatar
ChromeUsagi
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu December 09 04 ; 5 12 am
Location: On the dusty trail...

Post by ChromeUsagi » Sat August 06 05 ; 10 17 am

Finn smiles and bows his head slightly to Lahul as he refills his glass. "Not lost, Gnocrath. I remember during the border wars the older soldiers would gather the new recruits around the campfires and tell them exactly who they were fighting. Every man in my army knew about the bravery of the orcs firsthand." He chuckles, leaning back in his chair again.

"Of course, stories grow in the telling, so the tales those men tell their children at night are perhaps a little more than the truth, just as I'm sure the tales you've heard, Lord Kueth, are more exciting than the events that inspired them." Finn drinks deeply from his glass, his good humour growing.

User avatar
Sandcrawler
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed August 27 03 ; 10 28 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post by Sandcrawler » Mon August 08 05 ; 9 30 am

The night passes slowly at first, but faster as more and more of the Queens finest red wines are consumed.

Guresh seems an unending barrel, polishing off bottle after bottle. Ever-so-slowly, his speech gets more and more slurred and his actions become more and more gross. Finally, as the grey light of false dawn fills the air outside, three servants manage to half guide and half carry the severely inebriated pirate back to his quarters.

The two Elves are far more sedate in their drinking, though after splitting a bottle between the two of them, their manner becomes far less reserved, and they often laugh out loud in a most open fashion. They joke and tell tales from Elvish legend that astound and amaze the rest of the group.

Gnocrath drinks in brooding silence for the most part, however the alcohol does loosen the black-skinned warriors grimness, at least temorarily, to the point where he laughs out loud at some of the Elves stories.

By the time each of the assembled leaves, there is a growing feeling of comraderie that has rooted, a sense of hopefulness and optimism that perhaps, just maybe, this desperate quest might end in success.


OOC: In an effort to get us moving, I'm skipping ahead two days to the morning of the departure. I will be posting a minimum of once per two days, so the new words to live by here: "Move it or lose it!"

Game on.

Please check the new forum: "the Dragon's Breath" to continue.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup...

User avatar
ChromeUsagi
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu December 09 04 ; 5 12 am
Location: On the dusty trail...

Post by ChromeUsagi » Wed August 10 05 ; 5 04 am

The next morning during breakfast, Finn starts talking about plans for the mission. "My chief worry is how we might deal with this giant creature that so easily crippled the Light Dancer should it try and attack our ships. Normally I would have faith in our wizards to handle such a beast, but clearly that is no longer a possibility. I have had some thoughts on the matter - I would like to hear what you think."

OOC - okay, this is a little late, but it is something I wanted to deal with. Finn's proposals are as follows:

1) That some siege engines be brought along, ones that can be used while on the ship;
2) That at least one alchemist be brought along, or failing that, decent quantities of explosives be commisioned for use. Obviously, he'd prefer to actually bring an alchemist rather than stuff the hold full of explosives;
3) That some engineers be brought along. Architectural and geological especially.

His first concern is dealing with the giant scaled creature - perhaps some ballistas will dissuade it from attacking the ship. The engineers might be useful when the group reaches the island, in constructing fortifications or somesuch.

Any comments, questions or objections?

Post Reply

Return to “Call of the Wyrme”