Prologue: An Unusual Request

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu July 28 05 ; 4 43 pm

"Opportunity is a haughty goddess who wastes no time with those who are unprepared." --George S. Clason

When Ken Largo was in his teens, daydreaming about what a wonderful life he'd one day live, he probably didn't imagine himself spending a late sunday night at the office catching up on invoices. The coffee in his mug is cold and stale, and chill november rain falls in a thin but persistent mist outside the office windows. A dozen unopened emails fester in Ken's inbox, and the stack of paperwork on his desk is like a headache taken physical form and sorted by date.

Ken's office door opens to admit the only other employee at the office so late. Stacy is the only part of the night that could possibly meet (and even exceed) a childhood fantasy. Her pinstripe skirt is hemmed to the fine line between racy and professional, and she seems to have doffed her fitted jacket and loosed a button on her blouse at some point in the day. Her deep brown hair is still held up in a bun at the back of her head and her hornrim glasses make her look older than the curves beneath her blouse would suggest.

"I found the invoices for March," she announces, self-satisfied. "Somehow they got lost in the Clarke file from last year." She places the slender folder on Ken's desk and smirks at him, hands on hips. "You need a better secretary, Ken."
Last edited by Gingerbread Guy on Wed September 28 05 ; 11 42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kord

Post by Kord » Thu July 28 05 ; 7 52 pm

Ken curses to himself as he looks at all the paperwork he'd done. He almost longed for the days when all he had to worry about was getting a print from some designer and then creating what he wanted with raw materials and a few tools. I sure hope stacy finds those invoices or we we'll never get our ledgers straight.

He glances at his computer and see's the twelve unread email messages and decides that those will have to wait till the morning. just as Ken looks up from the monitor, the door opens and Stacy walks in. For a moment, all his worry's melt away as he admires her um... assets. If there was anything I ever did right, it was to hire her....

Of course his moment of peace last only momentarily as Stacy brings him back to the present. "Thank God, you found those invoices or we'd be in some serious trouble." Ken takes the invoices and begins entering the figures and then stops for a moment, turns to Stacy and says "Hey, This is going to take me about 15 minutes or so to finish up, you interested in grabbing a bite to eat afterwards, on me of course, God knows you certainly deserve it?"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu July 28 05 ; 8 38 pm

"Dinner, hunh?" she muses. "Well, you do owe me for staying this late.. dinner is a pretty good start." Her grin shows neat white teeth. "Its a deal." Tucking a loose spear of hair behind her ear, Stacy turns and heads back to her office.

Time passes quickly as Ken concentrates on the last of his long day's work. He efficiently handles the paperwork and emails, and the stress starts to melt away as the numbers take shape they way they should.

Ken is interrupted from his work by a flashing light on his phone, indicating that someone is holding for him on line one from the front desk. "Mr. Largo," comes Stacy's voice over the intercom, "there is a gentleman here to see you." The woman's voice sounds calm and composed, though it strikes Ken as odd that she wouldn't just turn a visitor away after hours.

Kord

Post by Kord » Thu July 28 05 ; 8 53 pm

Ken looks at his phone curiously... what the?..... . then he hears stacy's voice come over the intercom. Ken pauses before answering who would be here at thie hour, and on a sunday .

Ken hits the button one the intercom. a moment passes of just dead air and then "Stacy... Ask for the gentlemen's name and then have him to take a seat until I finish up here, oh and ask him what business he has with me too." As he releases the button on the intercom, Ken intuition tells him something is wrong. he reaches for his .357 and checks to make sure it's loaded and then lays it on the tray where his keyboard sits for easy retrieval. He then continues to finish up as he waits for stacy to get back to him with this man's information.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu July 28 05 ; 9 41 pm

"His name is Chase," comes a reply over the intercom after a moment. "He's here to place an order, and has agreed to wait for you, Mr. Largo," Stacy explains, sounding calm and professional.

The Colt Python sits cold and heavy on the keyboard tray, loaded and lethal.

Kord

Post by Kord » Fri July 29 05 ; 3 24 am

Ken didn't recognize the name but he was never one to turn down some work even at this crazy hour. He quickly puts the finishing touches on the paperwork and then straightens up the desk. When he is done, ken pushes the keyboard tray forward under the desk so that it can't be seen even if one walks up to his desk but still reachable.

Well might as well get this over with, so I can get out of here.[ Ken leans forward and presses the intercom button again. "Ms. Forsworth, you can send Mr. Chase in now." He realizes the button and then moves his hand to rest on his .357, moves his seat closer and sits up straight and then waits for the stranger to walk in.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri July 29 05 ; 8 16 am

After a moment of silence, Stacy opens Ken's office door and holds it for a tall, handsome man. Chase's white suit gold jewelry tastefully mark him as wealthy, but probably not nouveau-riche. Ken guesses his age at around 30.

"Thank you, Stacy," he says, turning enough to flash the young woman a flirtatious smile. Annoyingly, Stacy returns it before stepping back out and closing the door behind them.

"Ken Largo, I'm Chase," he says simply, smiling evenly as he crosses the room to extend a hand for Ken to shake. "Sorry to arrive so late.. I didn't think you'd be closed."

Kord

Post by Kord » Fri July 29 05 ; 2 03 pm

Seeing that the man isn't carrying any sort of weapon, Ken slowly releases his grip on his pistol and retracts it from behind the desk. he stands and extends his hand to shake Chase's "Ken Largo, nice to meet you... Excuse me, I've been busy taking care of paperwork all night and I'm a little tired, you mentioned you were late, did we have an appointment scheduled?"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri July 29 05 ; 4 12 pm

Chase's grip is firm and professional, though he has a casual air about him. "No, no apointment, but I did want to talk to the man in charge," he explains, helping himself to a seat. "I understand you do metalwork, and from what I hear - and I have it from reliable sources - you're the best. Expensive, but one gets what they pay for in life, right? If thats the case, I'd like to comission your services for a project I have in mind."

As though sitting in his own living room, Chase crosses his legs and folds his hands in his lap. "This may fall outside your usual field of work, but.. do you ever create original art using metallurgy? I've always been fond of metal sculptures, but its not like one can just look up "metallurgy classes" in the yellow pages," he says, smirking. "I figured I would have better luck looking for someone with the technical skills in spades, rather than some pompous artist who'd rather expound on their own greatness. Would you be willing to try your hand at teaching? Private lessons, not a class or anything like that. I'm prepared to make it more than worth your time."

Kord

Post by Kord » Fri July 29 05 ; 10 31 pm

Ken listens to the man's proposal in earnest until he is finished. being quick of mind his answer is almost immediate "Actually one can find Metallurgy classes at any local college or tech school, although you'll most likely only pick up the basics. I actually recommend taking one before trying to attempt creating metal sculptures. As far as teaching goes, It's not really my gig, and even if it was where would i find the time to teach. As you can see i have to work late on sundays just to get the paperwork done. I'll tell you what though, you go take one of them Metullurgy classes I spoke about and then come back when your done and I'll see what I can do about teaching you the trade, it won't be cheap though and you'll have to work during my business hours. " ken reaches for his coffee mug and takes a swig non-chalantly but soon is reminded that it had been sitting there awhile. His face cringes at the hours old cold coffee and places back on the desk "one other thing, I do all my work hands on, with good old fashioned tools and equipment, So you'll be getting your hands dirty and working long hours, so those white suits your wear won't do you any good here"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat July 30 05 ; 11 14 am

"I never said the tutoring was for me, and it isn't," Chase corrects. "I'm sorry if I was being misleading. My employer has sent me to arrange private lessons on her behalf. She is a very busy woman, but I think we can work around your schedule. Will you at least stop by to meet her?"

Kord

Post by Kord » Sat July 30 05 ; 4 38 pm

Arghh... I thought for a minute there that this was going to be a short meeting.. "excuse me..." Ken reach's for the button on the intercom "Ms. Forstworth... could you please bring us two bottles of water.." Ken then turns his attention back to Chase "Ok, before we continue let's get things straight.. First off, who is your employer? secondly... how much are you offering to make it worth my time"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat July 30 05 ; 8 50 pm

[OOC: Okay, we gotta figure out what Stacy's last name is.. first it was Forsworth, then you told me Fornsworth, now its Fortsworth.. I'm confused. Her first name isn't going to change to Elsabeth, is it? ^_^]

"Well, I honestly don't have a clue how much someone charges for this kind of thing. A hundred dollars an hour?" Chase frowns. "No, thats a little insulting, isn't it? Judging by your offices - and might I add, the quality of your executive," he says with a grin, "your time must be worth much more than that."

Speaking of Stacy, the young executive slips into the office with two bottles of chilled spring water, and hands one to each of the men. As she leaves, she pauses at the door for a moment, raising her eyebrows behind Chase's back as if to ask is everything okay?

Chase takes a couple sips of the water and continues. "I'm sure you can come to a schedule and a price with Ms. Vega, my employer. I can give you an advance, if that will sweeten the deal," he adds. "How does the tune of a thousand dollars sound?""

Kord

Post by Kord » Sat July 30 05 ; 9 12 pm

Ken looks to Stacy Forsworth (ok this is it) and says "Thank you, Stacy." letting her know everything was fine. He then opens his desk and grabs a caffiene pill and opens the bottle of water , places the pill in his mouth and the drinks some water to help him swallow it. Turning back to Chase. "Sorry, I've got quite the headache..... OK now, a thousand will at least peek my interest, at least enough to go meet with your employer, Ms Vega, but I would like to know more of what exactly she would require of me before I agree to any kind of tutoring or price rate. If this is ok with you, we can schedule an appointment to meet."

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat July 30 05 ; 9 31 pm

"She'll gladly explain what it is she wants from you," Chase says in agreement. "The wealthy really have no choice but to turn out a little eccentric. When Estella Vega sets her sights on something, she simply must have it, even if it costs a grand a day," he says with a sigh.

Chase stands and produces a slender leather wallet. He places a business card and a thousand dollar bill on the edge of Ken's desk. "A pleasure talking with you, Ken. Stop by this address sometime after work tomorrow, and I'll introduce you to Ms. Vega. Sorry again to come calling so late."

Return to “Ken”