Prologue: An Unusual Request

Kord
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Re: Prologue: An Unusual Request

Post by Kord » Sat October 01 05 ; 3 49 pm

Ken realizes that Dot just needs someone to hold right now, so Ken leads her over to the couch and sits down allowing her to sit between his legs as he just holds her and lets her cry for as long as she needs.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat October 01 05 ; 4 06 pm

It isn't long before Dot falls asleep with her head on Ken's lap. She shivers a little, and Ken finds a blanket draped over the corner of the couch. Even in her sleep she frowns.

Kord

Post by Kord » Sat October 01 05 ; 10 56 pm

Having covered Dot with the blanket, he gently gives her a kiss on the forehead and then heads up to Estella's bedroom, although a little saddened about Dot's well being.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sun October 02 05 ; 1 39 pm

Estella's bedroom is in the same wing of the building as the hot tub room - just a few doors down, in fact. Not surprisingly, there are no windows in the enormous room, and two sets of doors help keep any light from the hallway from getting inside. The main feature of the room is of course an elaborate bed of mammoth porportions, but there is also a large walk-in closet and a small vanity room as well. Estella is dressed in another red bathrobe that a movie star would be happy to wear to the Oscars. She sits at the edge of the bed, indeed discussing finances with Chase, who stands before her, getting her signature on several forms.

"Just make sure whoever fixes the water at the vinyard is reliable," she says, emphasizing 'reliable' enough to give a man chills. She spots Ken in the doorway and smiles. "That is all, Chase. Thank you."

Chase nods, and tucks the clipboard and folder under his arm. He bids Estella a good night, kissing her on the back of the hand. He says nothing to Ken on his way out, though their shoulders brush as he passes.

"You must be exhausted, my dear," she says, standing and crossing the room to caress Ken's cheek with her cold hand. She notes the wet spot on the shoulder and lapel of Ken's jacket. "I see Dot found out about Cid after all.. that didn't take long."

Kord

Post by Kord » Mon October 03 05 ; 6 33 pm

Ken looks down trodden "Then it's true, then. Dot is quite upset. what happened?" he heads over to place a kiss on her cheek and then sits on the bed next to hear the details

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Mon October 03 05 ; 9 39 pm

Estella sighs expressively as she picks a brush from her vanity table and begins to work it through her long hair. Her features are all flawless, including her hair, and thus the action is either habit or narcisim, rather than necessity.

"I only found out earlier tonight at the Lethe. Dot's boyfriend, Cid, was Xander's ghoul. He guarded Xander's house by day, tended to some of his affairs, and so on.. but mostly he was a companion." She pauses her brushing and smiles for a moment. "Xander is very fond of mortals. Very sentimental."

The brushing resumes. "He was very fond of Cid, not that Dot will ever believe it now, but he never intended to embrace him. Cid had his purpose, but apparently he wasn't content with it.. and now he's out-lived it."

"Like me, Xander has been granted Progeny - the right to Embrace a mortal. When Cid found out, I suppose he expected he would be the natural candidate.. but as I said, Cid already had his purpose. What good is a day guard that isn't even awake during the day? Cid was a fool.. impatient and narrow-minded. Clan Brujah has enough of those weaknesses in their blood already. Xander refused to give him the Embrace, and apparently they've been having words about it for weeks."

"Most ordinary vampire would have slain their ghoul for as much, but Xander is loathe to kill mortals. What complicated matters is that he had forbidden Cid to see Dot to begin with, and Cid had never obeyed. Really, this is largely Dot's fault."

She finishes with the brush, setting it down neatly on her vanity table. She returns to the bed, sitting beside Ken.

"You see, Xander once made a bet with me.. one I intend to win. I was once a singer in my mortal life, but it has been decades since I've had a real audience. The subject of my rustiness came up one evening at Elysium, and Xander challenged me to prove that I still have what it takes. Of course, it would be nearly impossible for me to maintain an actual career in music. It isn't as though I can make an appearance on Good Morning America to pitch my new album... but a ghoul might. A fair man, Xander bet me that I couldn't take a musically inept child and make her into an international superstar in ten years."

She laughs as she reminisces. "Not one to back down from a challenge, I accepted. A few months later I found little Dorothy Hall - pimple-faced, unpopular and utterly tone-deaf. She was so flawed she was perfect. Its many years later, and already I can smell victory. She still has no appreciable talent, of course, but that wasn't the deal. She just has to be good enough to be an international superstar.. and she will once I buy her an album to lipsynch to. Yes, she's recieved some vocal and dance training, but she will benefit more from the disciplines I have taught her than anything else. The discipline you learned tonight, for example.. she can affect an entire audience."

"Dot and Cid of course met through my social interaction with Xander. I suppose they found some kinship in one-another, being ghouls," she says, rolling her eyes a little. "Xander immediately forbade their relationship, concerned that it may look like a plot on his part to hinder Dot's progress, and thus to win our wager. I never had issue with it, not that I encouraged it either, and Xander let it go on and on. When Norfolk was evacuated, the couple was split up, naturally. I think Xander had hopes that the time apart would cool their relationship, but just the opposite occurred." She sighs again, for effect. "Such a tragedy."

Kord

Post by Kord » Tue October 04 05 ; 8 32 pm

"I only found out earlier tonight at the Lethe. Dot's boyfriend, Cid, was Xander's ghoul. He guarded Xander's house by day, tended to some of his affairs, and so on.. but mostly he was a companion." She pauses her brushing and smiles for a moment. "Xander is very fond of mortals. Very sentimental."
As she pauses Ken throws in the comment "You could have let me know in the car, So I wouldnt have been taken so off guard, although Im sure you had your reasons"

The brushing resumes. "He was very fond of Cid, not that Dot will ever believe it now, but he never intended to embrace him. Cid had his purpose, but apparently he wasn't content with it.. and now he's out-lived it."
"Like me, Xander has been granted Progeny - the right to Embrace a mortal. When Cid found out, I suppose he expected he would be the natural candidate.. but as I said, Cid already had his purpose. What good is a day guard that isn't even awake during the day? Cid was a fool.. impatient and narrow-minded. Clan Brujah has enough of those weaknesses in their blood already. Xander refused to give him the Embrace, and apparently they've been having words about it for weeks."
Ken grimaces his face "Hmmm... It sounds like Chase would fal under the same catergory, have you had any conflicts with him about this. I haven't exactly got off the right foot with him, there is tension there. do I have to worry about him being a threat?"

She laughs as she reminisces. "Not one to back down from a challenge, I accepted. A few months later I found little Dorothy Hall - pimple-faced, unpopular and utterly tone-deaf. She was so flawed she was perfect. Its many years later, and already I can smell victory. She still has no appreciable talent, of course, but that wasn't the deal. She just has to be good enough to be an international superstar.. and she will once I buy her an album to lipsynch to. Yes, she's recieved some vocal and dance training, but she will benefit more from the disciplines I have taught her than anything else. The discipline you learned tonight, for example.. she can affect an entire audience."
Ken chuckles a bit as the thought dawns on him "You mean Dot is the pimple faced kid? well that certainly explains alot. I was wondering why someone of her um maturity resided in your home when i first got here. I guess it also explains some of the no-talent superstars of today "

"Dot and Cid of course met through my social interaction with Xander. I suppose they found some kinship in one-another, being ghouls," she says, rolling her eyes a little. "Xander immediately forbade their relationship, concerned that it may look like a plot on his part to hinder Dot's progress, and thus to win our wager. I never had issue with it, not that I encouraged it either, and Xander let it go on and on. When Norfolk was evacuated, the couple was split up, naturally. I think Xander had hopes that the time apart would cool their relationship, but just the opposite occurred." She sighs again, for effect. "Such a tragedy."
"A tragedy, yes, but why was he killed? if this has been going on for awhile, why kill him ow? what did he do that merited it?"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue October 04 05 ; 9 00 pm

"I told you what you needed to know about Dot and Cid when we arrived - that Dot could use a friend. Really, how much do you think it would have helped to know in advance? No one has the power to warm the heart of a woman who just lost her true love, not even I, or I would be down there right now. I'm sure she suspects that I knew about his death before she, and even though that isn't the case, I doubt she wants to see me right now. The only cure for heartache is time."

"As for Chase, you needn't worry. He has his jealousy towards you, that much is certain - until you came along, he only had to share my attention with Dot, and you've probably seen how well those two get along," she says with a fond smile, the way a cat owner might find a harmless quarrel between kittens more endearing than alarming. "Chase would make a fine vampire, if only he could let go of the world. He would miss the sunsets, the touch of a woman, the taste of fine wine and all the other trappings of mortality. These experiences are dull and unpalletable to kindred, but he is content with them. He is the master of his own domain, small though it may be, and as a ghoul he still reaps the benefit of eternal life. Besides, he is too useful to me as a servant, and too arrogant to be my companion. No doubt, he will despise you, but if he ever thought to act against you, or any other vampire of standing, I'd kill him most swiftly."

"Dot obviously poses no threats either. She knows she was ghouled over a bet. I didn't intend for her to find out - Cid let her in on it, of course - but she came to terms with her purpose long ago. Any way you cut it, she's going to be a superstar and likely a millionaire."

"Cid's death is most unfortunate, but Xander has his reasons. Ghouls are meant to serve, so what good is a willfully disobedient one? In Camarilla law, a ghoul is considered to be like an appendage. It's sins are the sins of it's domitor - the vampire who made it. A disobedient ghoul is akin to an arm with a mind of it's own. There is no cure but amputation."

She sighs heavily again, but smiles and runs a hand through Ken's hair. "Enough of this heavy talk. The sun will rise in another few hours, and I don't want to spend the last moments of the night speaking of death and loss. Come into my bed with me. Hold me, let me hear your heart beat, let me be warmed by your body."

Ken has had a long, stressfull and eventful day, and Estella's offer seems impossible to turn down.

Kord

Post by Kord » Tue October 04 05 ; 9 42 pm

Ken wondered if Estella was using her presence to influence him this night, not that it mattered he would join her for reasons of his own, he loved her. So without a word he disrobed and slid into bed, holding her close and kissing he softly without out saying a word. Tommorow would be another day, he would deal with the problems of life then.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue October 04 05 ; 10 15 pm

Ken sleeps long, deeply and dreamlessly. He wakes with a pounding headache and a mouth as parched as the Sahara - familiar feelings. He needs to smoke up.

The room is pitch black - the lamps in the corners of the room must be on timers. Ken can feel Estella beside him, still as a mannequin, though warmed from his bodyheat and the heated waterbed. There are no clocks or windows with which to measure the time.

Kord

Post by Kord » Tue October 04 05 ; 10 43 pm

Ken will wait for awhile while his eyes adjust somewhat to the darkness. then sits up and feels around for his boxers and puts them on. he attempts to wake Estella from her slumber if possible to see how he is supposed to manage to get out of the room.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue October 04 05 ; 10 54 pm

Ken's eyes have nothing to adjust to. Absolutely no light gets into the room. He is surrounded in complete and total darkness.

His headache only gets worse when he rights himself as his blood pressure adjusts to the movement. Groping around at the foot of the bed, he finds his clothes and slips into his boxers - backwards at first, but fortunately it isn't possible for anyone to have seen his gaffe.

Nothing seems to wake Estella up. Shaking her, speaking.. nothing.

Kord

Post by Kord » Wed October 05 05 ; 10 00 pm

With no exit familiar or that he can be seen at the moment, Ken relies on his memory to lead himslef out of the room. Slowly he begins, making his way across the room. Like little antanae, his hands reach forward searching for any obstacles that may block his way. (ken will continue till he reaches the wall where an entrance/exit exists)

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed October 05 05 ; 10 32 pm

Groping around in the darkness, Ken manages to find a wall without bumping into anything else. He follows it to where he remembers the door being, and his hands find the doorknob.

Pulling the door open, Ken finds himself in the small space between the two sets of doors that serves as an airlock.. but for light, rather than gasses. A light bulb above him sheds some light on his situation, and some of it spills into the bedroom.

Kord

Post by Kord » Wed October 05 05 ; 10 34 pm

Ken quickly exits the room into the small space and then out from there. He will then proceed down to get some breakfast

Return to “Ken”