Walking in the Rain

Blackstone Prison is one of the many dirty little secrets of
the Empire. It is the deepest, darkest, dankest, hellhole imaginable and where the Empire houses a collection of hardened criminals, 'political' prisoners, and those unlucky few who simply needed to disappear. Blackstone Prison was one of those places that everyone has heard about but was unwilling to talk about in polite company. Poor living conditions, horrible nutrition, forced labor, and a brutal sadistic humanoid guard force ensured that no one ever escaped from Blackstone.

You are a prisoner at Blackstone. It may have been days, weeks, months, or even years since you were incarcerated, but the indominatable force of Blackstone is beginning to crush any hope you have that you will ever leave Blackstone alive.

Moderator: chameleon

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by fat_hampster » Mon November 21 05 ; 2 33 pm

Kaspar listened to what everyone said intently, but he gave everyone a chance to speak before saying anything, seeing what everyone else was doing. He had already made up his mind and he thought it rather strange that Kith was trying to pursuade them not to go when he went. When he had heard everyone's comments, he said "I will go also". he didnt say any more, there was no need, Kith could try to pursuade him to not go if he wanted, he found his whining rather amusing, and he did not feel he had to express a reason for his decision. The fact of the matter was, being free, or at least free'er, before dying was better at any rate than being killed of in captivity. Also, He could not help to wonder how they were going to keep them on this 'quest', criminals are not famous for their loyalty, or their trustability, could they not get out of the empire and escape, was their not a chacne of freedom on this route, and then, a chance of redemtion.

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by chameleon » Mon November 21 05 ; 2 41 pm

[font=Garamond]While Kith merely smiles at Wylan’s outburst, Commander Thentias shakes his head at Wylan’s question. [/font] [font=Book Antiqua]“I wouldn’t have the slightest idea where your possessions are now or what was done with them, but I do believe that you will be more than satisfied with the equipment that will be provided to you.” [/font]

[font=Garamond]He pauses for a moment and looks conflicted.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]“Most of you were chosen because, despite the misinformation spread by Warden Trollsbane, you truly didn’t belong in Blackstone. As for Kith … he may be prick, he may be condescending, he may be a sarcastic so and so, but he may also be your best chance for survival because he knows what of he speaks. The Land Below is far more dangerous than even the arenas in which you fought Wylan. Not only did Kith survive in such an environment, he thrived.

It may indeed be a kindness to execute you now and the world would certainly be a better place without Kith in it … still … this way you have a chance to earn the freedom you probably deserve.” [/font]


[font=Garamond]Commander Thentias motions for a guard to come up bearing thin gold chains in one hand. The guard places the chain over everyone’s head. When the chain drops to your soldiers, it automatically constricts to fit the size of each prisoner’s neck. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua]“These gold bands are a simple magical device that allows us to monitor your movements. Should you try to escape you will be hunted down and killed without a second chance. You aren’t able to remove them and they don’t emanate magic that would give you away in the Land Below.

Now … Dinner will be served in an hour right here for you. After dinner, cots will be brought in and you will spend the night here in the warehouse. Tomorrow morning we begin your training for this mission. Is there anything else you would like to know?” [/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Mon November 21 05 ; 6 16 pm

Wylan's eyebrows arch in surprise at the mention of training, but he holds his tongue. He's unpleasantly surprised to hear that Kith may serve as their guide, but for now he can not question the wisdom of having someone along who knows what they may be up against. He also bites back the obvious retort when Thentias all but admits his knowledge of their innocence, but doesn't offer them freedom. Still, it is a nice thought that these others he may be travelling with aren't quite the hardened convicts that Trollsbane had described.

He looks about at the others gathered around him. "I have no further questions, Commander. Thank you." Wylan Lear is looking forward to hearing more about his companions from their own mouths: what skills they bring with them, their true dispositions... He has a tough time imagining why Isadora has been included and can only surmise she must have powers beyond what his eyes can see.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by StormElfstone » Tue November 22 05 ; 8 18 am

Equipment? Isadora wondered what they'd be provided with. Her fingers started to itch as she thought of getting hold of a couple of good daggers again.
She stood up from her seated position on the edge of her coffin.

The young human cannot believe what Commander Thentias tells them next; that they were chosen because they didn't belong in Blackstone. Isadora felt an emotion she had not felt for a long time, it seemed almost unfamiliar, but not unwelcome.... happiness. Finally somebody believed she was innocent.

Isadora's heart sank again, (a little) as the Commander revealed that Kith was to be the group's guide. She hopes he will not keep acting the same way he had until this point, and decides to give him a chance if he is the means to the group's survival.

At the talk of food Isi's stomach let out a growl and she smiled sheepishly. A whole hour to wait?

When the commander had finished speaking Isi replied, Yes I have a question: You speak of training. How long are we to spend training before our mission begins?
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by chameleon » Tue November 22 05 ; 2 36 pm

[font=Garamond]Commander Thentias continued to observe the prisoners and frowns as he read something in the face of the prisoners. [/font] [font=book antiqua]“I just want to make this clear. I said that the majority of you didn’t belong in Blackstone … not that I believed you were innocent. Wylan made his living in the arena. Not exactly a place known for its innocence or lack of brutality. Isa was indeed a competent thief. Tegan was responsible for the death of innocent children and was expelled by his order. Kaspar belonged to an order of assassins. Blackstone is a hellhole intended for the worst criminals in the empire … while you all may be criminals, I doubt any of you with the exception of Kith could truly be branded as the worst criminals in the empire.”[/font]

[font=Garamond]Off to the side Kith chuckles. Commander Thentias glares at him before turning back to answer Isa’s question.[/font] [font=book antiqua]“We anticipate that training will take six to eight weeks. Maybe a little longer if things don’t progress as well as we’d like.”[/font]

[font=Garamond]Having answered the question, he turned on his heel and exited the building followed by the rest of the Praetorian Guard. When the Guard leaves, six beds are revealed. Beside each bed is a small chest with a candle on top of it. On the end of each bed less one is a neatly folded pile of clothing. If anyone walks over and checks out the clothes, they will see each person’s first name stitched on one of the tunics. There is also a towel to dry yourself off with, and a curtain that can be drawn to give you a modicum of privacy.

Kith walks over to the beds, finds the one with his clothes on it, grabs the towel, and begins undressing without pulling the curtain. Minutes later, he has dried himself off, neatly folded his ragged prison attire and placed them beside the chest. Kith then lies down on the bed and proceeds to wait for dinner to arrive.

An hour later, the door to the warehouse opens and the guards bring in a table and six chairs. Next, Commander Thentias enters the warehouse followed by two guards escorting a prisoner in chains. The guards release the chains and move to flank Thentias. The prisoner is of fair height (5’ 10” tall) with a medium build. His complexion is tan and his hair is straight and light brown.[/font]


[font=book antiqua]“This is prisoner Jared Tenaal, a deserter from the Imperial Army. He will be accompanying you on your journey. The meal will be here shortly. I suggest you get a good night’s rest as we will start before the sun rises on the morrow.”[/font]

[font=Garamond]As if on command, the food arrives when Commander Thentias finishes speaking. While it is by no means gourmet fare, it is by far so much better than what they received while in Blackstone that it seems like such. There are plates loaded down with roast fowl, loaves of bread, cheeses, and fresh fruits as well as two large mugs of ale. Commander Thentias smiles and leaves the warehouse to the prisoners.[/font]

[font=Goudy Old Style]OODM: We won’t be playing out the full period of the training … just want to give you a little time to get to know each other and understand how everyone reacts as a unit before I send you into the gauntlet. Enjoy!

Cham[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Tue November 22 05 ; 2 55 pm

Wylan makes swift note of the people he's going to be getting to know over the next couple months. Six of us in total, he thinks to himself, a strong number if we can learn to cooperate.

Isadora seemed alright, possibly this Tegan character as well, though he seemed a little nervous for this kind of work. Kaspar seemed a bit of an introvert; perhaps he'd speak up on his own time, assassin or not. Kith's attention getting dramatics would probably get on Wylan's nerves, but what about this new deserter, Jared?

Wylan takes a seat in one of the middle chairs at the table. Despite his misgivings, it would be important to play the diplomat at first, start talking and learn who can be trusted and who might have a blade with his name on it. Wylan does his best to scrunch in his massive frame to leave space for others to sit on either side of him. The aroma is nearly unbearable but the big man waits until everyone is seated before reaching for some of the bird meat.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by StormElfstone » Wed November 23 05 ; 5 24 am

Isi perks up at the news of new clothes. Without a word she quickly finds her clothes and draws the curtain. She soon emerges clean and dry with the towel wrapped about her wet hair in a turban.

Once dinner is served she sits down and drapes the towel about her shoulders. The meal looks like a feast to Isadora and she smiles broadly, inhaling the aroma deeply. She felt like an impatient child waiting to open her birthday presants, but she does not eat until she is invited to do so.

She looked about her at the people at the table. She wondered what Kith's crime was who is the man they are putting in our charge? Can he really be trusted? And now, yet another new face; Jared.

Isi was still unsure who could be trusted. Wylan seemed alright and his strength would certainly be an advantage. She wondered about Tegan and Kaspar murderers.... She could only hope they were reformed from their old ways.

6-8 weeks of training... she thought to herself. It will be interesting to get to know the group a little more.

She looked around, wondering what the others thought of her. She imagined her appearance could be somewhat misleading. Sometimes that was an advantage, though. I will have to prove myself, she thought.

Her thoughts wandered back to what was at hand: the meal. She looked forward immensely to getting her strength back and also to the training.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
Talon
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri April 25 03 ; 7 28 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by Talon » Wed November 23 05 ; 7 21 am

When the guards finally release the chains, Jared rubs his wrists where the chains had dug into his skin. He glances about the room and notes the others in seemingly the same situation. A suicide mission for freedom.

As Thentias mentions deserter, a sneer of disdain spreads across Jareds face. His loathing for the guard is quite evident at this point. After Thentais makes his exit, Jared makes his way to the untouched bed and looks at the pile of clothing only to find his name on the front of the items confirming that this is his bed. Without a word he starts to very slowly and carefully peel off his shirt wincing in pain as he does so. The shirt slowly rises to reveal many long red lash wounds of a whip lining his back. Some are still caked with dried blood while others are still trickling. He takes the clean folded shirt and puls it over his head once again wincing as the shirt slowly moves down his back.

After the process of changing his shirt has been completed, he sits on the edge of his bed and once more looks around the room and it's inhabitants as if he is taking inventory. He then closes his eyes and sighs. It is all he can do to keep his composure from crying out at the searing pain that burns his back.
[align=center]Theres more to gaming than life!

Image[/align]

User avatar
Suyoi_Igarashi
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue May 24 05 ; 8 56 am
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by Suyoi_Igarashi » Wed November 23 05 ; 7 30 am

Tegan wasn't sure if he should drink the water from his bath or not to. His whole mind was in a fog, disoriented to time, space, and his environment. Was this really happening or was it another dream? His eyes glared at Kith's indecent exposure. Still, the clothes in which he was given were decent enough, considering. Moving into the scrub room, he pulled the curtain and removed the rags, stuffing them behind the tub to be rid of them from sight and thought.

He tried to concentrate in the bath, allowing his fingers to move in the familiar movements of his old routines. Trying to focus, he felt for a connection to Lathander in the waters of his tub. He almost giggled as he felt the magicks ebbing into him once more, though faintly like a breeze in the noonday heat. He almost splashed his water like a child. He was not defenseless anymore. He vaguely recalled the man's words of what he had done. Surely, no one had killed needlessly, save for him. Would they hold it against him?

Tegan put on the loose fitting robes, and slipped on the leather shoes. Maybe he would be able to find something to make a holy symbol out of. He was going to have to have it carved onto his chest one day. A tattoo for all the world to see would proclaim his faith; the pain would be another penance. He glanced at each person, letting his thoughts drift.

~Isadora is a thief, and this new one is an assassin. We had use for seekers in the church, but not for ones that assassinated them. And, the other one being a man who fought in tournaments was no surprise. The arrogance and !@#$-sure attitude had at least some merit for his profession, but not the ability to lead. Only... that one is definitely evil, and I do not like it. Quick to judge, Tegan... but maybe I will be able to prove myself wrong, though the guards are weary of this Kith. There will be an inquisition into him at some point, lest my sleep be lost once more.~
[font=Tahoma]"If these tears which scrawl their lucid signature from cheek to chin...
If my fists tremble for a moment in which the fabric of time teases to pause within their grasp..."
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]A Collection of Absent Thoughts on a Tuesday Night.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]~Me circa November 12th, 2006[/font]

(http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/w/e/w ... y.jpg.html)

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by chameleon » Wed November 23 05 ; 11 17 am

[font=Garamond]Kith notices Tegan’s discomfort over his disrobing, but he makes no mention of it and in fact doesn’t even change the expression on his face. Thoughts are running furiously through his head as he lies on the bed and considers what the future may hold for him and his temporary traveling companions. Slowly but surely the ideas begin to form into several plans.

When the food arrives Kith walks over to the table and gracefully sits down on of the chairs at the end of the table. After a few seconds of no one grabbing any food, Kith reaches out and grabs an apple, slices off a small hunk of cheese, and rips a small hunk of bread from the loaf and puts them all on the pottery that sits in front of him. He reaches for one of the two mugs of ale that sits in front of him and sniffs at it tentatively. Kith wrinkles his nose and pushes it in the direction of Wylan.[/font]


[font=monotype corsiva]“I’m pretty sure you’ll get more enjoyment from that than I will. If anyone else wants the second mug, you are more than welcome to have it.”[/font]

[font=Garamond]Without waiting for any of the others to begin eating, Kith begins to nibble tentatively at the cheese and apple. When Kith is about halfway through with the apple, he turns to Jared. [/font]

[font=monotype corsiva]“Not that I blame you for wanting out of that sorry excuse for an army, but why did you decide to leave?”[/font]

[font=Garamond]Kith returns to eating his apple, but his eyes bore into Jared as he waits for an answer.[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Wed November 23 05 ; 11 38 am

Seated, Wylan is still nearly as tall as some of the others in the warehouse. Standing he must be well over six and a half feet tall disregarding the short, spiked black hair which covers his head. His one good eye is a pale blue, even in the moderate light of the warehouse. He turns this eye towards Kith as he takes a seat, surprised and hoping this was a gesture of extending the olive branch. He'd have to be sure to take it.

Wylan nods his head in appreciation to Kith's offer or beer. "Thank you," he says audibly enough. He takes a long pull out of the mug which drains a good portion of its contents, then slides it over to Isadora. Damn, but that is good, he thinks to himself.

He turns towards Jared at Kith's question, wondering the same thing as well.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by fat_hampster » Wed November 23 05 ; 12 14 pm

Kapsar had gone over to his bed, and had drawn the curtain and bathed, as he sat in the bath he reflected on what had happened, and the people he would have to work with, he looked forward to the meal and even more so to the training, which would help him get back into shape, as well as getting used to working with his new comrades, and to work out their personalities, after his bathe kaspar had gotten dressed in his new clothes, which felt strange after his time in jail, and as the food came in he went over and sat down. He waited until people had started eating, and then started eating slowly on some of the food, savouring every mouthful, he noted what other people said, but did not reply, maybe as he got to know them, he would talk to them, but he did not feel the nesecitty to be the first to introduce himself.

User avatar
Talon
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri April 25 03 ; 7 28 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by Talon » Wed November 23 05 ; 1 26 pm

Jared opens his eyes at the query and looks directly at Kith. He winces in pain as he attempts a shrug and says in a quiet but smooth voice "I couldn't stand taking orders from an incompetent oaf with no common sense whatsoever, so after he went crazy, I left."

Jared regards Kith with his cool hazel eyes as if to say That was another time and place, I am the same as you now

With another silent wince of pain Jared rises and slowly makes his way to the table where the food is and says in the same smooth unwavering voice I am the example of what happens to deserters, except as far as the rest of the guard is concerned, I am in Blackstone being whiped and totured as we speak.

What did you do to wind up here?


Jared breaks a piece of cheese and a piece of bread and makes his way back to the bed .
[align=center]Theres more to gaming than life!

Image[/align]

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Thu November 24 05 ; 2 25 pm

Wylan smiles at Jared's comments about an incompetent leader. To thta he could certyainly relate. Of coursem, perhaps this fellow, unlike himself, managed to get out before he did things he'd truly regret...

To avoid lapsing into memories best left forgotten, Wylan looks to start a conversation of his own. Seeing Jared leave the table, he looks to the others. "Well," he begins, "I'm guessing we weren't chosen for our glittering smiles. If what Kith says of our destination is true, we won't get far on those. Look, I'm Wylan Lear and what you heard about me is pretty much true., I DID kill a nobleman, though he had no business being in those pits. It's Part of the risk with blood sports. But I won't protest my innocence..."

Wylan's will falters and he takes another pull form the mug of ale; it's just too good. "I trained with the chain. I've some talent with it, needless to say, tripping and disarming opponents and such, so I suppose that's what they chose me for: front-line fodder." He smiles to show that it's all spoken lightly. "Of course, I learned how to use the chain to shelter a teamate, so that they could pin an enemy when I'd knocked him down..." He trails off, looking suddenly self-conscious, "I guess what I'm saying is that I know how to work with a team; I'm hoping we can work together as a unit and not a, well, band of desperate convicts..."

He considers grabbing the mug again, until he realizes that its now more than half empty. He settles on a drumstick instead. Having spoken his peace, he looks about at the table, finished for now.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Walking in the Rain

Post by StormElfstone » Thu November 24 05 ; 4 39 pm

Isi took the large mug from Wylan. Umm thanks she said with a smile. After taking a pull from it she can see in his face that he wants it back. She places it on the table, and feels the time has now come to commence eating.
The meat looks particularly appetising, as does the bread.

She listens to Wylan's introduction of himself. She'd been wanting to introduce herself and also to get to know the others, but she hadn't expected to have to do it so soon...

She looks down for a while after he has finished talking and picks shyly at her chunk of bread, pulling pieces of it, but not eating them, just dropping them on to her plate. She is considering what to say...

Yeah, well I was a thief, she says fairly quietly, still looking down. But is it a crime to take what you need to survive from those who can afford it? her tone now becoming a little stronger.
She looks up and glances at Wylan as she adds, And I worked with a team... so I can see why that's important.

She then looks down again and starts to eat slowly. There is clearly still more to be said.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

Post Reply

Return to “Escape from Blackstone”