Kaspar's fight

Blackstone Prison is one of the many dirty little secrets of
the Empire. It is the deepest, darkest, dankest, hellhole imaginable and where the Empire houses a collection of hardened criminals, 'political' prisoners, and those unlucky few who simply needed to disappear. Blackstone Prison was one of those places that everyone has heard about but was unwilling to talk about in polite company. Poor living conditions, horrible nutrition, forced labor, and a brutal sadistic humanoid guard force ensured that no one ever escaped from Blackstone.

You are a prisoner at Blackstone. It may have been days, weeks, months, or even years since you were incarcerated, but the indominatable force of Blackstone is beginning to crush any hope you have that you will ever leave Blackstone alive.

Moderator: chameleon

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Wed January 25 06 ; 1 34 pm

Wylan leans over to Isi, "Not the most charismatic fellow and certainly the last one I'd elect to lead our little band, but I wonder if a guy who clearly outclasses us will be able to obey any of the others." Wylan unconsciously look's towards Jared as he finshes whispering. Despite his suspiciously late arrival, that one seemed to have integrity.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by fat_hampster » Wed January 25 06 ; 4 04 pm

Kaspar is surprised at how well Kith manages to kill all 6 enemy's, without being taken down, it makes him feel worse about his fight, and that he did not even take down 1 foe, he had undoubtably done the worst out of his companions, and he hoped he would get another chance to fight. He would probably hold the group back when it came to a fight, and he hoped he in the rest of the training he coud catch up to the rest of the group, and find ways to better his combat fighting with the group. otherwise, he hoped he would have other skill that could contribute to the group in some way.

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Wed January 25 06 ; 6 13 pm

Although Kaspar seems to have a good handle on his emotions and his expression, Wylan can imagine how he must feel. Hell, his own fight proved that he wasn't anything special either.

Wylan leaves Isi's side after his comment and thumps the hand-to-hand fighter on the back, "You probably don't care what I think, but I'm going to tell you anyways. This was a whole lot of feek if you ask me, designed to make some sort of sermonizing statement about how lame we are on our own."
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Mon January 30 06 ; 10 36 pm

[font=Garamond]Kith could see the questions forming in the minds of his fellow prisoners as he walked toward them. Is he really that good? How did he do that? Why bring us along when it appears that he is this much better? What are we doing here?

Behind him, the medics rush about the warehouse laying hands and praying over the fallen guardsmen. Fortunately, four of the men had not yet reached death’s door. However, two had to be carried out on stretchers to the chapel to be resurrected.

As he reaches his fellow prisoners, Kith slumps down into a chair and prepares to say something. Before he can start, the warehouse door quickly opens and Commander Thentias enters. He immediately walks over to wear the prisoners are standing.[/font]


[font=book antique] “You are right Wylan the whole exercise was a lot of ‘feek’, but not because you are ‘so lame on your own.’ This exercise was designed to show you just how dangerous the land below can be; how one simple mistake and you are dead or captured by the races that make the land below their home. It was also designed to give your fellow prisoners an idea of your fighting style under pressure so that you have an idea of what your fellows will do so that you can mesh your styles to the best benefit of the group we have assembled. Don’t forget this lesson, I’d like to see you all survive and return to the surface.

Now if you will excuse me, I believe Kith wanted to discuss something with me”[/font]


[font=Garamond]As soon as Commander Thentias and Kith began to move towards the weapons racks to talk, the group was escorted back to their barracks where hot steaming food, cold beverages, and a hot bath was awaiting each of them.

The group hadn’t been eating ten minutes when Kith appeared in the door of the barracks and made his way to the table. As usual, he picked at the tantalizing morsels of food on the plate in front of him. Uncharacteristically though, he took a long drink from the glass of mead that was seated in front of him. Putting the glass down on the table, he passes his eyes over each of his fellow prisoners and lets out a long sigh.[/font]


[font=monotype corsiva]“What I did back in that warehouse is something that each and every one of you can do. You might not think so, but I know you can. The only advantages I had were those of experience and surprise. Think about it … these opponents were specifically trained to defeat you and most of you were put in a situation that was totally foreign to you. Think … the one of you who had experience in the arena was the one who did the best because he was familiar with it. Am I right?”[/font]

[font=Garamond]Before any of his fellows could respond, Kith forges forward, [/font][font=monotype corsiva]“You aren’t here to be fodder, you aren’t here to support me, the simple fact of the matter is this … they don’t trust me. They know I know how to get to what they are searching for, but they aren’t sure that I will bring it back to them. You are here to ensure that it gets returned … one way or the other.”[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by StormElfstone » Tue January 31 06 ; 4 51 am

"It was also designed to give your fellow prisoners an idea of your fighting style under pressure so that you have an idea of what your fellows will do so that you can mesh your styles to the best benefit of the group we have assembled. Don’t forget this lesson, I’d like to see you all survive and return to the surface," Commander Thentias had said. Isi had been beginning to think, after seeing Kith's performance, that her and the other prisoners were probably just there to make up numbers.
It was a great comfort though, to be reminded that Thentias did appear to be somewhat on their side and she believed him to be sincere when he said that he hoped they would all return to the surface alive.

Isi frowns pensively when Kith says that what he did was something they all can do. It seemed to her that he was wielding some kind of magic; creating dark clouds and what-have-you. I am no magic wielder she thought to herself, but heck, I wouldn't mind learning, I guess.

The rogue keeps to herself. She's content to listen for the moment. She had a lot of questions floating around in her mind, but wasn't sure which to ask first or how to ask them. What was that magic? How did he do it? Is he going to teach us? What's the next stage of our training? She waits, hoping for one of the others to break to the silence first.
She was still reluctant to trust, or even like, Kith so she wants to watch as he talks to the others.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Tue January 31 06 ; 1 40 pm

"I'm sorry, Kith, if my envy and resentment got the better of me. It's not you I'm truly angry at. It's our gaolers and also myself. Sometimes, it is hard to stand in the shadow of one's betters, but it doesn't excuse the looks I've cast your way."

Wylan lets out yet another ponderous sigh. "If this item is something they truly want, I don't see why they would send expendables like us who were inferior to the guards in skill to 'bring you back.' If none of us could beat one or two, and you mopped the floor with them, what makes them think we could make you do anything you wouldn't want to when they couldn't knock you down?"

He takes a long pull from his cup, nearly draining it, "If, on the other hand, this item is not worth the lives of these guards, then why release dangerous prisoners, particularly you to get it?" The former gladiator shrugs, "It just doesn't make sense to me yet. I guess I should just accept that I'm out of Blackstone and make the most of it."
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by StormElfstone » Wed February 01 06 ; 3 47 pm

Isi laughed quietly to herself, (hoping that no-one noticed it), when Wylan remarked, "I guess I should just accept that I'm out of Blackstone and make the most of it." That was what she had done a long time ago.

She care too much about the item or who got it, and whether or not it rightfully belonged to them as long as it was her ticket to freedom.
OK, so the lands below were dangerous, but her feeling was 'die free or die trying'. And if she learned some good fighting skills along the way that was a bonus. She could clearly learn a lot from the others in the group, she might even try and befriend them.
Isi didn't make friends easily these days, she tended to find that people were untrustworthy, but she might just give it a shot. If they were to get on in the Lands Below and survive to get out again it would help to trust one another.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Mon February 06 06 ; 1 44 pm

Wylan takes the lack of comments to mean that the others were either unconcerned or as puzzled as he was. Either way, the situation was better than it was in Blackstone. He does what he can to ration out the ale this time so everyone can get a swig or two, but sets to the food hungrily.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Mon February 06 06 ; 2 14 pm

[font=Garamond]Kith sees Isi frown pensively at his statement that what he did was something everyone could do. The tall, still gaunt, black man shakes his head when Wylan makes a statement about Kith being his better and wondering why they choose this motley crew to retrieve the crown. Kith looks at the ceiling for a good long minute before returning his eyes to his newfound companions. The outcast seems more open this evening, perhaps he isn’t the bundle of ego and conceit he has portrayed himself as. He takes another drink of mead and sighs. [/font]

[font=monotype corsiva]“The guardsmen aren’t better than we are. Each of you has more talent than these guards and over the course of the next week or two my statements will be borne out! They prepared for us for who knows how long… other than perhaps a brawl or two in Blackstone … how long has it been since any of us truly trained for combat? How long has it been since you’ve held a weapon made by a craftsman in your hands?

They chose us because they can’t take and march an army into the land below without getting slaughtered by the denizens that inhabit that dark world. It takes people with special skills to slip into that world, steal the crown, and make a mad dash back to what passes for civilization. I’m assuming we weren’t all chosen for our skill at arms … therefore this wasn’t a fair test of your abilities, of your chances to survive what you will be facing, or your potential success in this mission.

As for forcing me to do anything against my will … you are right! You don’t stand a chance of ever making that happen. However, I see the potential for great personal benefit in returning the crown to the land beneath the sun. I just hope you survive to get the chance …”[/font]


[font=Garamond]Kith leans back in his chair, swirls the mead in his mug, and waits for his companions reactions … [/font]

[font=copperplate gothic light]OODM: You have more than enough ale. There is no need to ration it out.[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Mon February 06 06 ; 2 33 pm

Wylan nods at Kith's words. He was certainly right about the talents of some not necessarily being tied to combat. And perhaps even a large "grunt" like himself could take some consolation in losing to men who'd prepared themselves in advance for his combat style. Still, Wylan can't help but feel a little low. He was, after all, in his element when he lost.

Still, no reason to monopolize the conversation with whining. Wylan sits back and lets the others make what they want to of Kith's brief monologue.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by StormElfstone » Tue February 07 06 ; 6 35 am

Isi tucks into the food and drink quietly at first; glancing up at whoever happened to be speaking to show that she was paying attention and taking in all that was going on around her.

Kith's statements about 'special skills' caught her attention. She knew what he was taking about. Her time among the Night Hunters had indeed taught her that combat was not all that was needed to survive. Stealth had a lot to do with it too and she knew that she always had the best advantage in a fight when the foe wasn't aware of her until her daggers were already at their neck. Even then she mostly used her skills to threaten people more often than to kill them. Killing was a last resort, used only in emergencies.

It was interesting indeed to hear Kith speak well of others than himself. Still, could just be a facade. Isadora had decided by this time that she would not trust Kith fully until they were out in the Lands Beneath and he had done something to prove himself. But for the time being she would treat him as 'neutral'.

In the silence that followed she decided that she'd better speak. [font=Comic Sans MS]Yes. I hope that we do survive. I believe some members of the group are pessimistic about our chances, but I would choose to die out there fighting with atleast a chance of freedom over dying in Blackstone anyday. If I die out there atleast I can say I tried.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by fat_hampster » Tue February 07 06 ; 10 56 am

Kaspar, listened to everyone whilst eating, and drinking ale, he had enjoyed the freedom of the fight, even if he had been beaten more easily than anyone else, it was a welcome change from the sameness of blackstone, and he was glad that he would be free before he died, whether that be soon, or when he had grown old. He thought about what kith said, about surviving not being just about fighting, and he hoped that some of his skills would help with the mission, and that he would not end up being useless, after Isi spoke, Kaspar replied, "I also would prefer to be free, than stuck in blackstone all our lives, and if we didn't have any chance, why would we be set this task?"then he quitened down again, and listened to everyones replies.

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Fri February 10 06 ; 1 58 pm

[font=Garamond]Kith smiles when Isi mentions that some of them were pessimistic about their chances. In truth he was glad that they were optimistic about their chances, it gave them a better chance to succeed. Perhaps it was time … [/font]

[font=monotype corsiva]“There is a reason for my pessimism, you know? I spent years in the land below before I was captured and sent to Blackstone. I understand what the dark elves are capable of … the worst tortures we suffered at Blackstone are but child’s play for these thoroughly evil creatures. They control vast tracks of the land below and all the denizens of that dark land fear the capabilities of such a people. The crown we seek is held by what was the first family of the largest city of the dark elves in the land below when last I was free. A cruel proud family that doesn’t hesitate to use any means necessary to maintain that which they desire.[/font]

[font=Garamond]Kith takes a sip of the mead in front of him.[/font]

[font=monotype corsiva]“Now perhaps you might understand why I am a tad pessimistic about our chances for success? There is always a chance of success in almost every endeavor … however slim it might be.”[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Fri February 10 06 ; 2 25 pm

Wylan's eyes widen at the description. "It sounds like someone like me, with my ponderous size and armor, might only jeopardize our chances for success. When it gets down to infiltrating the Underdark, I may be helpful, but from what you're saying, it will probably be up to the others," he casts a worried look towards Isi in particular, "who are more likely going to be able to infiltrate their homes..."

Wylan finishes his ale. "I'm sure we'll all have a role to play, but let me say that I'm starting to think that engaging in open fighting will only be a very small part of it..."
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Kaspar's fight

Post by StormElfstone » Sat February 11 06 ; 6 54 am

From what Kith said, the Lands Below seemed more dangerous than Isi had originally imagined. She had pictured dangerous animals and vicious beasts, not organised and intelligent evil. But she liked the way he mentioned that there was always a chance of success in any endeavour, no matter how small it may be. She looked up from her meal and smiled at him as he said it, nodding in agreement. It was certainly the first time she had sent even a hint of a smile his way.

Isi swallows nervously as Wylan indirectly addresses her. It looked like there would be more pressure on her than she'd initially realised, but despite the pressure atleast it seemed that she would be useful to the group. Until then she'd been concerned that the others would be spending all their time worrying about her and that would make her seem like a burden. She was, in many ways, glad that it seemed her skills would come in handy.

[font=Comic Sans MS]I'm sure that all our skills will come in handy in time. We will each have a chance to prove ourselves, but we mustn't forget to support each other too.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

Post Reply

Return to “Escape from Blackstone”