A Day of Rest

Blackstone Prison is one of the many dirty little secrets of
the Empire. It is the deepest, darkest, dankest, hellhole imaginable and where the Empire houses a collection of hardened criminals, 'political' prisoners, and those unlucky few who simply needed to disappear. Blackstone Prison was one of those places that everyone has heard about but was unwilling to talk about in polite company. Poor living conditions, horrible nutrition, forced labor, and a brutal sadistic humanoid guard force ensured that no one ever escaped from Blackstone.

You are a prisoner at Blackstone. It may have been days, weeks, months, or even years since you were incarcerated, but the indominatable force of Blackstone is beginning to crush any hope you have that you will ever leave Blackstone alive.

Moderator: chameleon

chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl

A Day of Rest

Post by chameleon » Thu February 23 06 ; 3 02 pm

[font=Garamond]Finally, the evening the former felons had all been waiting for arrived. After dinner Commander Thentias had visited them and informed them that tomorrow would be a day of rest and the day after that they would begin their final exercise. Kith nodded his head in acknowledgement and left the others to go meditate at the end of his cot.

Slowly but surely, everyone returns to their bed and falls asleep as Kith meditates silently at the end of his cot. As soon as everyone’s breathing has slowed indicating that had entered a state of sleep, Kith’s eyes pop open. The gaunt man takes a moment to quietly survey the room. As lightly as a feather falling, Kith raises himself from his cot and silently slips out of the warehouse that the felons had been using as barracks.

An hour or two later, Kith returns to the warehouse. Rather than returning to the cot and faking sleep once more, Kith goes through the routine he learned years ago, preparing for the days and weeks ahead. At some point during the rest day, Kith finds a way to be alone with each of the felons. He gives each of them a singular item and simply says, [/font]
[font=monotype corsiva]“You will find this of use when we participate in the exercise tomorrow.”[/font] [font=Garamond]Kith doesn’t give them a chance to respond before quickly moving on.

Kith gives Isi a simple golden necklace with a small medallion on it. The medallion face shows a single open eye. He gives Kaspar a silver ring that has the same open eye engraved on it. To Wylan he gives a cloak clasp that bears the same symbol. Kith gives Jared a silver circlet. To Tegan, Kith gives a pair of lenses.

After he has given everyone their item, Kith quietly disappears to let them enjoy their rare day of freedom and relaxation. Kith finally returns when dinner is served for the evening.[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Thu February 23 06 ; 4 05 pm

Wylan does not want to appear ungrateful, so he grumbles out his thanks and accepts the token. Still, he can't erase his distrust of the gift. The eye reminds him that he is being watched over, as if by the guards themselves, and he wonders if this is some way for the guards, or even just Kith, to keep tabs on them.

At dinner, he approaches the man and whispers, "So, you seem to know what's coming tomorrow. Mind sharing your intellegence with us?"
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Suyoi_Igarashi
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl

Post by Suyoi_Igarashi » Thu February 23 06 ; 6 01 pm

Tegan echoes after Wylan, "Or at least let me know what these lenses are before they go near my eyes..." He tries to lighten the humor in the room. His fingers childishly play with his meal.
[font=Tahoma]"If these tears which scrawl their lucid signature from cheek to chin...
If my fists tremble for a moment in which the fabric of time teases to pause within their grasp..."
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]A Collection of Absent Thoughts on a Tuesday Night.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]~Me circa November 12th, 2006[/font]

(http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/w/e/w ... y.jpg.html)

chameleon

Re: A Day of Rest

Post by chameleon » Fri February 24 06 ; 12 15 am

[font=Garamond]Kith notices Wylan’s discomfiture over the cloak clasp, but chooses to ignore it. Given the same set of circumstances, he wouldn’t trust himself either. Besides it really didn’t matter if they trusted him or not … just as long as they could complete the mission, Kith would be as happy as he allowed himself to be.

Later that evening when Wylan quietly asks him to share what ‘intelligence’ he has with him, Kith looks down at the pathetic excuse for food that litters his plate and sighs. Fortunately, Tegan tries to lighten the mood. Returning his gaze from his plate, Kith quietly replies,[/font]
[font=monotype corsiva] “It’s quite simple really … the Land Below doesn’t have many light sources so almost every creature has adapted to such an environment having some gift or the other that allows them to ‘see’ in complete darkness. I assume this exercise tomorrow will be completed in an unlighted area. The trinkets I gave you will merely allow you to have some sight in the Land Below rather than the pathetic torches most cave explorers like to use. Torches and lanterns will only make you a target.

I just thought you all might enjoy taking advantage of this so that the guards don’t ‘teach’ us another lesson before we depart.”[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Fri February 24 06 ; 12 35 pm

Wylan smiles at Kith's response. "That was most...well, most brotherly of you." The big man gives Kith a grateful thump on the back, a gesture that he later realizes Kith might have killed him for. "I was wondering about seeing in the Underdark and this will be a useful, no, a critical, advantage." That said, Wylan will fasten the clasp to his cloak.

fat_hampster

Post by fat_hampster » Sun February 26 06 ; 1 11 pm

Kaspar gives thanks to the ring Kith gives him, and put it on, though he wonders what it does. During the day he gets used to the ring, and does not notice anything magical so thinks that maybe it is just a token that does not actually do anything, when Wylan asks Kith about it, he listens in, and thinks about what Kith says, hoping that it will be as useful, and do what Kith said it did.

Talon
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin

Post by Talon » Sun February 26 06 ; 2 37 pm

Jared sits and looks at the ringlet. He runs his fingers over it he reasons whether or not yo trust this gift. Kith has given him no reason to to be so aprehensive, but with his highly attuned mind as his only defense, he worries that anything magical may inhibit his ability to manifest his powers.

After long moments he finallly decides to consult the one person who has really warmed up to him so far. He goes to Isi Do you.... trust... Kith?
[align=center]Theres more to gaming than life!

Image[/align]

Suyoi_Igarashi

Post by Suyoi_Igarashi » Mon February 27 06 ; 6 43 am

Tegan swallows, frowning. He turns the lenses over in his hands, lost in thought. As somber as his tone was inside the prison, he says, "I... I glow when I cast my magics... A large portion of my spells are light-based... This is not going to be fun at all." Gaze skitting around the room, the spellcaster wonders if he will be more of an encumberance than an asset to the group.
[font=Tahoma]"If these tears which scrawl their lucid signature from cheek to chin...
If my fists tremble for a moment in which the fabric of time teases to pause within their grasp..."
[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]A Collection of Absent Thoughts on a Tuesday Night.[/font]

StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Post by StormElfstone » Mon February 27 06 ; 8 32 am

OOC: Typical! I go away for a couple of days and miss all the action :tee
Well OK, here goes

Isi looks at the necklace Kith hands her, but before she can look up to thank him he as already left. She studies it and wonders what it could mean. He'd said it will be of use in the next exercise and she wondered if it was magical. The eye hinted that it might enhance her vision and she tries it on briefly to see if she notices her vision improving.

When Jared approaches her later and asks if she trusts Kith she sighs and is silent for a moment. [font=Comic Sans MS]...Not yet, [/font]she answers carefully. [font=Comic Sans MS]I don't like the way he's acted so far, [/font]she continues, a tone of suspicion in her voice. [font=Comic Sans MS]He hasn't given us a reason to trust him yet, but then he hasn't given us a concrete reason not to. [/font] She looks at the pendant in her hand and thinks for a while, wondering how useful it would prove to be. Part of her keeps thinking it could be some kind of trick, but she can't understand why she is so reluctant to trust him.
[font=Comic Sans MS]At the end of the day we are all criminals here, but we seem to trust one another. The way I see it, Kith just needs a little longer to prove himself, and I am waiting for him to do so.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]

My YouTube Channel

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Tue February 28 06 ; 1 49 pm

At one point before bed, Wylan calls the others over to him. "Look, I'm not sure what they intend for us tomorrow, but my guess is that they'll test us as a team. It might be us against a whole squadron of guards or maybe they have some huge monster they've got lined up; I don't know...What I do know is that we'll have to work together. That being said, I'd like to present an idea to you and then hear from you if you've got a better one."

Wylan takes a draught from his mug and puts it down, "I'm thinking we should organize into pairs: a front man and a supporter. If we're in a large area, we can spread out a little...enough so that they can't get through our ranks but so that a single centered spell doesn't take everyone out at once." Wylan looks at the assembled people, "I'd obviously be a front-liner. I'd like to have Isi with me, standing just behind and below the arc of my spiked chain. I can pretty ably knock a 'legged' foe down on his !@#$ with my weapon. Since he has to close with my longer reach, I can usually get in at least one extra knockdown swipe. That would give her the opportunity to hit him when he's prone or at least flank him. I assume Kaspar and maybe Kith would be our other front liners with spell casters suporting them, blinding the foe, and what not." Wylan shrugs and waits to see what the others think.

fat_hampster

Post by fat_hampster » Tue February 28 06 ; 3 40 pm

Kaspar was expecting someone to talk tactics sooner or later, he thought it was probably on everyones mind, but he had decided not to be the one to bring it up, as then everyone might get an assumption that he knew what he was doing, but he had not worked in strategic combat before, so he had just waited for someone else to bring it up. What Wylan said seemed to make sense, Wylan and Kith certainly seemed like the most combat oriented, with him and Isi being more about manouverability than pure fighting, and so being good to back up one of the combateers, and Tegan and Jared being the obvious spellcasters, to blast whatever was against them tomorrow, and probably also healing. But he wasn't sure what exactly Kith's abilitys were, no doubt he had them, he had seen that on their first test against the guards, but what they actually were, remained unknown at least to him, and so he was not sure how he could help Kith, and he expected Kith would probably just find him a nuisance.

He kept these thoughts to himself, and said: "It sounds reasonable to me, but I think we will need to go into further depth what we are actually going to do, and what the other part of our pair will require of us, also there is no guarantee that they will equip us the same as against the guards, so we will need to think of a plan just incase, but I have no tactical training or experience, so it will mostly be upto you, we will need to work as a group on this, so I will do what everyone thinks is best." Hoping that they could eventually come to an agreement on tactics, and wondering what the others would say.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Tue February 28 06 ; 3 48 pm

"Well, that is the trick, isn't it," Wylan says with a light smile, "How do we prepare for the unknown? What I'm suggetsing would work best against humans and humanoids, though I agree I'd need to know what excatly the spellcasters can contribute. Wouldn't wanna charge into one of my ally's fireballs or nothing."

Talon
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin

Post by Talon » Tue February 28 06 ; 7 40 pm

Jared muills the proposed plan for a few moments and decides that it sounds like a solid plan. After being in the guards for a few years, he recognized the plan as one the guards have used on occassion. He then decides to give his input Your plan sounds good. I cannot offer any insight into what we face, but I do know that if it is to fight the guards, they like to employ a similar tactic.

My contribution is kind of a magic, but very different. I don't have to wave my hands around or throw strange things in the air.. I simply... think. I use my mind to cast my magic.
[align=center]Theres more to gaming than life!

Image[/align]

Suyoi_Igarashi

Post by Suyoi_Igarashi » Wed March 01 06 ; 9 11 am

Tegan frowns, disapprovingly. His own experiences with strange situations had led him to his current situation of prison. "I was part of a squad of sorts. If we do split into groups of two, I think it would be better to form as..." The spellslinger clears his throat, glancing at each of them before returning his gaze to the floor. "I think Wylan and Jared would work well together. Jared would be able to keep moving easily enough, but you don't want to be stuck with Isi trying to move you out of the way. Plus, Jared also is handy with that quarterstaff, if needed to be. If Isi and Kaspar had their way with it, they could be easily mobile to take out the distant opponents. I have seen both of them dodge many attacks easily enough, and they both know how to hit hard when they need to." He looks at Wylan before adding, "And... well... that leaves me with... well..." With a glance back to the ground, he purts his lips. "I'd be more of a distraction than anything, and Kith could keep things away from me the most. If we are in the dark, I'd stand out like an Agent of Talona in a Sunite Bath house. Besides... he'd at least be even less assuming standing next to me."
[/font]

StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Post by StormElfstone » Wed March 01 06 ; 10 36 am

Isi listened to the suggestions going back and forth and finally said, [font=Comic Sans MS]Yeah, I'd like to be up front, I can flank an enemy if I have someone to work with, but I don't really mind who it is. If Wylan is gonna stand further back and swing his chain around I'll work with Kaspar. [/font]
She pauses and then adds [font=Comic Sans MS]And spellcasters at the back sounds good, hopefully we'll be able to keep out of your way. [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]

My YouTube Channel

Return to “Escape from Blackstone”