Going Down

Blackstone Prison is one of the many dirty little secrets of
the Empire. It is the deepest, darkest, dankest, hellhole imaginable and where the Empire houses a collection of hardened criminals, 'political' prisoners, and those unlucky few who simply needed to disappear. Blackstone Prison was one of those places that everyone has heard about but was unwilling to talk about in polite company. Poor living conditions, horrible nutrition, forced labor, and a brutal sadistic humanoid guard force ensured that no one ever escaped from Blackstone.

You are a prisoner at Blackstone. It may have been days, weeks, months, or even years since you were incarcerated, but the indominatable force of Blackstone is beginning to crush any hope you have that you will ever leave Blackstone alive.

Moderator: chameleon

Post Reply
User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Wed October 18 06 ; 8 10 am

[font=Garamond]Kith patiently waits for someone else to either support Jared or contradict him. When no other opinions are forthcoming, the whip-cord thin man shrugs his shoulders. He’d always preferred stealth until the moment was right to ‘announce’ ones intentions, but he considered this to be another potential learning situation for his new companions.

Kith drew a pair of hand crossbows and silently padded his way 30 yards away from the door. Slowly the rest of the companions joined him and drew their ranged weapons. When they are all ready Jared concentrates and sends a blast of energy toward the door. The door buckles and gives way.

The image of the crumpled door is almost immediately obscured by an immense ball of fire that is centered where the door once stood. Before the companions truly register what is happening, the force and sound of the explosion rolls over them knocking them from their feet. As the companions struggle to their feet, they are buffeted by dry, debris filled, super-heated winds.

With the sound of the blast still ringing in their ears, the companions finally stand and peer through the dust and smoke of the explosion toward the door. Kith points to the ceiling and everyone looks upward as the first of the stalactites hurtles downward from the ceiling and smashes into the cavern floor. As several stalactites begin to plummet to the cavern floor, Kith sprints across the cavern floor. He dodges falling debris as he heads toward the entrance to Rek’ts compound. He is quickly joined by the rest of the companions in a mad dash toward the safety of the covered walkway.

When they all arrive, Kith smiles to the group. [/font]
[font=monotype corsiva] “Do you think that Rek’t knows we’re here yet? Shall we proceed?”[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Talon
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri April 25 03 ; 7 28 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Going Down

Post by Talon » Fri October 20 06 ; 6 18 am

With a grin Jared looks over at Kith "Nothing like making a grand entrance. That was one hell of a trap on that door! I guess he really didn't want any visitors!"
[align=center]Theres more to gaming than life!

Image[/align]

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Post by fat_hampster » Fri October 20 06 ; 8 35 am

Kaspar looks over at Kith as they get to the entrance and Kith speaks. He had been keeping quite, as he did not have much experience with tactical thinking. After kith has finished Kaspar says: "I would be surprised if Rek't doesn't know were here, still, he probably does not know all of our capabilities, and our numbers, so we may still be able get an advantage if we seperate into a sneaking group and an obvious group." he then checks himself, and inicates that he is ready to proceed.

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Going Down

Post by StormElfstone » Fri October 20 06 ; 10 19 am

OOC: Sorry for not posting in aaages. :hm

Blasting the door open wouldn't have been Isi's first choice but it seems to have worked in their favour, at least for now and the Rogue gives Jared an approving nod, once more impressed by the man's spellcasting abilities. [font=Comic Sans MS]"How DO you do that?"[/font] she says half to Jared and half to herself. [font=Comic Sans MS]Well, I think we have hung around for long enough [/font] and she begins to make her way towards the walkway, staying near Kith up front.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Thu October 26 06 ; 7 22 am

[font=Garamond]The companions quickly but carefully made their way down the tunnel/walkway. Dust and smoke swirls around them as they check for traps. One hundred feet later, they arrive at another door. Considering the results of opening the other door, Isi is very careful as she checks this door for traps.

After finding nothing, Isi pulls out some picks and goes to work on the door lock. In less than sixty seconds, the lock clicks and the door slides soundlessly open. Inside the door is a spiral staircase heading up. The companions follow the stairs up. Twenty feet later they arrive in a workshop with the window they saw from the ledge.

There are several benches littered with mechanical bits and pieces. A dozen three foot tall clockwork men stand inactive against one wall. Along another wall, there is a shelving filled with cleaning supplies. Along the third wall is a wooden door with a large iron ring set into the floor.[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: Going Down

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri October 27 06 ; 8 49 am

Jared makes his way around the room doing a once over looking for anything that may seem out of place. If nothing catches his eye, he will make his way to the door and look at the crack between teh bottom and the floor (assuming there is one) for light and movement via shadows. He will also listen carefully for voices or any noises indicating activity of any sort from the other side. If he hears or sees nothing he will back off and look at Isi I think based on what we've seen, you better check this door.


Rolls
Search - 24
Spot - 16
Listen - 17
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Going Down

Post by StormElfstone » Sat October 28 06 ; 3 01 pm

Before she moves over to the door, Isi looks at the mechanical men; [font=Comic Sans MS]"I don't trust those statues"[/font] she says[font=Comic Sans MS]"Can anyone try to detect magic on them? They could be some sort of device for spying on... unwanted intruders."[/font]
As someone detects magic she goes over to check the door for traps.

Search: +8
Disable Device: +2
Open Lock: +5
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Mon October 30 06 ; 9 49 am

[font=Garamond]Jared doesn’t spot anything that seems out of place as he cautiously makes his way around the room. Noting Isi’s request, Tegan nods his head. The young man makes a few motions with his fingers and speaks a few arcane words and points toward the mechanical men and then slowly turns about the room. About 60 seconds later, he shakes his head and reports, [/font] [font=times new roman] “There is nothing magical about the clockwork men, but there is something magical about the iron ring on the door.”[/font][font=Garamond]

By this time, Jared had made his way over to the door. The workmanship of the door is remarkable and it fits so precisely into the floor that the top of the door is level with the floor and no light escapes from behind it. Although he listens intently for sounds of voices or noises that would indicate activity of any sort from the other side, Jared hears nothing that would indicate any activity on the other side of the door.

Isi joins Jared at the door and begins to check the door for traps. After five minutes, she doesn’t find any mechanical traps on the door. The only thing that they do notice is a series of runes engraved on both the ring and the door itself.[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: Going Down

Post by Hypo Luxa » Mon October 30 06 ; 10 02 am

Jared frowns and says No. I dont like this. Tegan says the ring shows up as magic some how. Tegan, can you figure out what the magic is exactly or maybe just get a close idea? Maybe these runes can help lend an idea as to what magic infests this thing.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Going Down

Post by StormElfstone » Tue October 31 06 ; 11 19 am

[font=Comic Sans MS]"Can anyone speak Dwarven?"[/font] Isi says, scratching her head as she studies the runes. She's not 100% sure that IS Dwarven, she's just guessing but she can't read the unfamiliar characters.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
fat_hampster
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun July 31 05 ; 7 29 am
Location: England

Post by fat_hampster » Tue October 31 06 ; 11 30 am

Kaspar shakes his head, indicating that he can't speak dwarven, but he takes a look at the runes anyway to see if he recognises them. After looking at them he says [colour=red] "Maybe they are arcane writings" [/colour] he looks at tegan, to see if he makes anything of the markings.

OOC: speaks common, elven, and draconinc just incase its any of those.

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: Going Down

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed November 01 06 ; 7 25 am

Not a word of it Jared replies flatly to Isi's query
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Wed November 01 06 ; 9 25 am

[font=Garamond]Waylan shakes his head no when Isi asks if anyone could speak Dwarven. He knew the language of the Imperium, the language of the city-states, and some orcish. As Tegan examines the runes, a thought comes to Waylan. While he might not speak dwarven, the orcs and the dwarves used some of the same symbols in their written language. Perhaps he could read what the runes say …

The big man moves behind Tegan and leans over him imposingly. After viewing the runes for a few seconds, he stands up straight and announces, [/font]
[font=book antiqua]“Those runes look like they say lightning, which I can’t imagine is a good thing.”[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

User avatar
StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat March 26 05 ; 12 45 pm
Location: In a world of my own
Contact:

Re: Going Down

Post by StormElfstone » Wed November 01 06 ; 3 41 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]"It could be a magical trap... A lightning trap..."[/font] Isi says mumbling to herself, and trying to get a closer look at the trap again before she tries to disarm it.
[hr]
OOC: Have just realised that Isi's pretty good at finding traps but disarming them is not really her forte. Can I take 20 since we have a lot of time? Her modifier is +2.
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]


My YouTube Channel

User avatar
chameleon
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon August 01 05 ; 9 24 am
Location: The Dark Side of the Moon

Post by chameleon » Mon November 06 06 ; 11 26 am

[font=Garamond]As the others watch the rest of the room, Isi focuses on the task at hand. Runes aren’t like a normal trap, so she simply examines the door to what means might be at hand to disarm the trap. Suddenly it comes to her. Isi pulls one of her daggers out and pries it between the door and the floor. With a jerk of her wrist, the door smoothly and silently swings upward.

Searching for traps, the companions finally determine the stairs aren’t trapped. They move down the stairs. As they stop at the bottom of the stairs, they see an empty room with stairs on the other side of the room. A pair of human looking statues stands (four statues) on either wall to the companions right and left. Each statue looks to be armored and carrying a spear. The floor has a pattern of alternating black and white squares (1 foot).[/font]
[font=copperplate gothic light]When the DM laughs, it is already too late![/font] :D

Post Reply

Return to “Escape from Blackstone”