The Escape

Moderator: Uvuriel

Post Reply
User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Wed November 29 06 ; 11 14 am

We'll start off your story just an hour after you take off from town. The road you're on stretches far into the distance, and the next town is another two days away by foot. The roads have been empty so far, which is probably good for you... The sun is setting, though, and the air is beginning to cool down slightly...

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Wed November 29 06 ; 10 47 pm

After one last justifiably paranoid check, Lars sunk to the side of the road, “Boccab’s magical balls; that was stupid!” he cursed, though he faintly smiled at his unintended pun. Putting his head in his hands from near despair, Lars took a deep breath to try to focus on his problem.

With the long standing stable-hand’s habit of talking to himself when alone, Lars started to organize his thoughts aloud.

“Ok. The first thing to figure out: time frame. Criv paid me for the bet; started complaining, then, of course, Blabbermouth Bistin overheard Criv. So then all the stable-hands knew I made the bet, shadow of Pellor; that was STUPID!” when Lars reigned in his frustration and self-blame, he began to cipher on his fingers how much time he would have, “That gives me ‘til about . . .” he groaned with realization “now before Sir Lachvor’nal hunts me down – no doubt with steeds. And here I am sitting in the clear waiting for him! Fharlanghn’s crossroads; why did I have to make that cursed bet!”

Rising to his feet, Lars checked the road again. He wasn’t sure about it with the quick look, but he thought that maybe off in the distance, at the top of the hill where he could barely see the path that he saw something just before it passed down the other side. “Probably just a trick of the light,” he muttered to himself “but . . .” Decision made, Lars slid into the forest trying his best not to disturb anything.

Glancing around, Lars decided that he was too close to the path to avoid detection – if they had to relieve themselves at the side of the road – for example. Silently passing through the forest, ( harder than in the city Lars thought chagrinned), Lars scanned the area for places to hide while he rested for the night – lest Sir Lachvor’nal’s men found him while he slept.

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Thu November 30 06 ; 7 22 am

There are a few good climbing trees further back into the woods, and there are also some thick bushes on the ground. You could hide in either place--it depends on whether you think they'll look for you up high, or down low... You could also travel further into the woods. They get much thicker as you go further, although you have heard of strange and powerful beasts inhabiting the deepest areas of the forests...

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Thu November 30 06 ; 10 39 am

Lars frowns to himself as he evaluates his choices.

With a disdainful look bushes which would give him no opportunity to do anything tricky if it comes to that he looks towards deep in the forest. "Dunno about the monsters" he whispers quietly to himself "probably wolves or something, but . . ." Lars pauses wondering if wolves would eat humans "better safe than sorry." Grinning lopsidedly at the word "safe," every choice seems fraught with danger, Lars approaches a likely tree and looks to see if somebody standing at ground level could spot him in it.

Shaking his head, "not that one. Too easy to see into," striding to the next tree, Lars evaluates that its foliage is thick enough to hide in. Slowly climbing up the tree hand over hand Lars climbs from branch to branch trying his best not to disturb the natural appearance of the tree, at least not overmuch(if possible taking 10 or 20). When he reaches a point that he can hardly see through the foliage he stops and arranges himself on the branch.

With a few deft knots Lars carefully ties himself to the branch so that he won't fall out of the tree during the night(ditto). Then, before he loses his bearings (If he hasn't already) he slides out a piece of chalk from his backpack. On the nearby bark of his branch, he makes a little arrow to show him where the path lies. Then he places the chalk and the excess rope into his backpack

Shivering with the night's chill, Lars tries his best to fall asleep to conserve his energy in the morning

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Thu November 30 06 ; 8 59 pm

You climb the tree with relative ease, as the branches are just barely close enough for you to climb up and just thick enough to support your weight. At one point, you nearly loose your grip, but natural reflexes save your hide as your other hand instinctively grasps for the branch. Being slightly more careful, you continue to climb.

You tie yourself to the tree and prepare for a long, cold night.

No sooner have you tied yourself to the tree, though, than you hear galloping off in the distance. You hear it draw closer and closer, but it soon fades farther and farther away. Perhaps, just perhaps, you are safe for the night...

And indeed, for the night, you are. Morning comes, and you find yourself at a slightly weird angle, as you ended up leaning against the rope in your sleep (good thing it was there!) and you now have a nice rope-pattern line across your neck and cheek. The knot has grown fairly snug now, but you manage to untie it, nonetheless. The sun is shining through the branches warmly. It looks to be a beautiful day... ^_^

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Thu November 30 06 ; 11 02 pm

The climb down the tree is almost a chore; both the chill from the night and the tingling of his waking limbs keeps Lars from feeling his way very well, and towards the bottom of the tree he decides that it isn't worth the uncomfortable climb and drops the last few feet.

Stretching his arms, legs, and back, Lars frowns, "don't think I got even one of those cricks out." he complains to himself.

With a slapdash prayer of thanks to all the relevant (or slightly relevant) gods he can think of, Lars opens his pack to get a bite to eat. "Fharlanghn's twisted path," he curses, seeing how little food he has.

Dividing his meager meal in half he wolfs the first half in record time and longingly he puts the second half in his pack. The moment the food is in his pack, he realizes that he has an enormous thirst. Lars ruefully observes that bringing beer, "Couldn't have made you more foolish in betting," and immediately regrets not having bringing something to drink.

Lars ponders his situation for a few moments, "Surely I can think of something" After a few moments of looking around Lars finds an idea. Searching for trees that he thinks look familiar, Lars sucks the dew off of the leaves until he cannot find enough dew to make the process worthwhile. "Hopefully I don't make my stupid self sick from leaf juice."

Having had something approximating breakfast, Lars gives a last stretch and is rewarded with a satisfying pop of his vertebrae. Paying attention to the arrow he left, Lars tries to follow the path in parallel peeking through the foliage every once in a while to see that he remains close to the road, but never actually entering it.

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Thu November 30 06 ; 11 07 pm

[[OOC: I couldn't see Lars' character sheet earlier. Now I can, but I don't have time to post, so I will post later.]]

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Mon December 04 06 ; 8 53 am

While in the forest, Lars quietly chats to himself planning what to do when he arrives at the next village. Unsurprisingly a hot bath and meal are high on the list.

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Mon December 04 06 ; 11 06 am

[[OOC: Eh, yay for exams... I'm gonna have to put this on hold for a week, mayyyyybe two, because I have GOT to put all my spare time into writing papers and stuff. Sorry, but we'll get it back up and running in a week.]]

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Tue December 12 06 ; 1 04 pm

[[OOC: Alrighty, I'm back up and running for the most part!! :) ]]

Lars makes his way through the forest until the farms surrounding the next town start coming into view. You haven't seen or heard anything on the road from your old town since morning. If you want to get to town, you'll have to leave the forested area now. You've been travelling all morning, though, and it's past midday now. Your stomach is growling for food.

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Thu December 14 06 ; 1 39 pm

Lars sighs with relief when he first finds the village. Checking his impulse to go to the first place which would serve food, Lars decides to get a feel for what the town holds.
tapping his finger lightly against a tree, Lars ponders whether it is wise to head for a hot meal and bath -- "wouldn't that be where Sir Lachvor'nal's men would expect me?"

Lars eases back towards the path before the woods and he enters the town on the main road hoping to find some place to purchase food --hopefully not the in, though.

User avatar
Uvuriel03
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
RPGHQ Founder / Admin
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun December 19 04 ; 11 59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Escape

Post by Uvuriel03 » Thu December 14 06 ; 3 07 pm

The sign, combined with the wonderuful smells as you enter the middle part of town, nearly makes your salvitory glands explode.

The sign has all sorts of delicacies painted all over it, and in the middle of the sign is painted, in big brown words (painted to look like deliciously puffy bread) are the words "Pastie Haven." And indeed, it looks like a haven to you. You see some extremely short halfling children run out of the shop, and only then do you note that there are two doors--one within the other. There is one for the taller people, and one for the shorter folk. The children are all screaming with joy as they all gather 'round the one little halfling boy as he passes out his loot--lots and lots of cupcakes. He has an entire pan full of them, chocolate cupcakes, blueberry cupcakes, white cupcakes, some with frosting, some with jam, and all of them look absolutely delicious. Within moments of recieving their respective cupcake, each of the children have frosting and jam all over their faces.

You don't remember hearing about this place before, but it looks relatively new. This bodes well for you, as the shopkeeper is likely somebody new from out of town and he hopefully won't recognize you...

vadia
Novice
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed November 15 06 ; 3 30 pm

Re: The Escape

Post by vadia » Mon December 18 06 ; 8 45 pm

OOC: sorry for the delay I've been busy the past three days.

Lars smiles, amused by the young children, as he passed through the more appropriate of the two doors. Though Lars tries his best not to look overly excited at the pasties – they all looked so delicious that he surely looks like an overgrown halfling child.

Though temptation shows clearly on his face, Lars decides to purchase the tamer dishes that seems more hearty than a mere desert “can’t make myself sick” he mumbles thoughtfully, thinking of how ill he was after eating all the sweets at the dinner his parents gave him as a farewell before he began to work as a stablehand

Digging into his money pouch he pulls out slightly more money than is necessary, “Say, when I was passing,” he mentions, off-handedly as he receives the pasties, “on the path, I heard some horses riding hell bent for leather, do you know what they were looking for?”

(OOC we may need to explore this point further before Lars leaves)

Noting that there is a shrine to a Cyrrollalee in the corner of the pastie shop, Lars mutters a quick thanks to her and decimates one of the pasties with one gigantic bite. Nearly immediately thereafter, Lars nearly chokes on the pasty due to his dry throat “Where can I get something to wash down these delicacies?” he rasps.

Post Reply

Return to “Old Games”