01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

In a godless world where atheism is rampant, society is decadent, invention is the future, and where the secrets of arcana have been all but completely forgotten, MERCS follows the harsh but compelling lives of guild mercenaries.

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Post Reply
User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue January 15 08 ; 11 20 pm

Details emerge as the black silhouettes grow nearer. The mercenaries find themselves outnumbered at least two to one, perhaps more, but the appearance of a banner among the riders eases their fears about bandits. Only two types of travelers are likely to carry a banner with them: the highway patrol, or..

Hyleans. Black not only as silhouettes, the Hylean soldiers are naturally dressed in dark armor and even ride dark-toned horses. Riding together in a column two-men wide beneath the black-with-gold-wreath flag of the Empire, they are an intimidating sight.

"Hail on the road," calls the lead soldier as they near within earshot. In contrast to his appearance, the man sounds rather friendly, as though he were out on a pleasure ride. His archaic plate armor is decorated with gold markings that probably denote rank, and there are at least enough of them to indicate significant importance. An battle axe hangs in a loop at his belt, a shield is strapped to his back, and his visored helmet rests casually on the pommel of his saddle.

Beside the commander rides a man in heavy robes. His head is shaved clean but for a tidy beard. Eight troopers dressed in mail and black leather tabards fill out the column behind them, blocking off most of the road.

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Genghis » Wed January 16 08 ; 5 54 am

"Hail, sir!" Morin calls out with a smile, making no move towards the road. He could only assume they wanted no trouble and would find the three of them a small threat. Besides, they were going were the three of them were going. "I'd offer you some breakfast fare, noble sir, but I fear you'd find our biscuits and hardtack less than palatable." Hoping to control the tone of the conversation, Morin adds, "How is the road behind you?"
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed January 16 08 ; 7 30 am

Dragen guides his horse close to Morins, but not yet mounting. As his eyes meet one of the guards, he smiles a friendly smile and listens intently to the conversation, prepared to jump into action if the need arises.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed January 16 08 ; 5 41 pm

The Hylean officer and his compliment of soldiers ride up at a steady pace, prepared to pass the mercenaries on their way towards Sunset City. Unfortunately, a hand signal from the officer brings the riders to a halt.

The man looks over all three strangers, but without much suspicion. His smile seems genuine. His dark brown hair is long enough to be swept back and gathered at the nape of the neck - ironically similar to the style that Soren, the Hylean-hating Lucorian wears his. "I'm afraid biscuits and hardtack would be more of the same for us," the officer admits. He looks over at his bald, robed partner. "Do you think we should be asking the High Guard for better food?"

The bald man ignores the lighthearted attempt at humour - he seems too busy frowning at the mercenaries as though they were some kind of vermin. The soldiers behind them stare openly, but expressionlessly.

"Things seem quiet back there," the officer admits, sparing a glance over his shoulder at the road stretching out to the east, and at the soldiers in his company, "but I shouldn't expect brigands to just leap out at us and identify themselves. If there is any trouble waiting back there, I'm sure it will pass you by asw-"

"We don't have time for chit-chat," snaps the robed man, adding "Commander," as a deliberate afterthought. He stares daggers at the mercenaries. "Show us your identification papers immediately."

The officer sighs and rolls his eyes. "I was getting to that, Zeran," he says flatly. "Just because we have the authority to search people doesn't mean we shouldn't still be nice about it." He shrugs apologetically at Morin. "Your papers, if you please. I'm sure everything is in order.."

[OOC: All citizens of Rymm have ID papers that identify them by first name, family, age, and (when applicable) profession. The three of you are identified as guild mercenaries in good standing, and that shouldn't cause any trouble with the Hyleans.]

User avatar
Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 2510
Joined: Wed March 28 07 ; 12 50 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Uvuriel » Wed January 16 08 ; 6 26 pm

"Sure thing, sir," Kaelie says politely. She pulls her backpack around to sit on Soutenu's neck and starts shuffling through her things for her papers.
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Wed January 16 08 ; 8 01 pm

"Right on, then. It's good to see that there are those about securing the roads for the free people of this realm. Would that I could say the same of my birthplace..." Morin looks to the unarmored man with curiosity as he pulls out his documents, seeking out some identifying marker. A ledger perhaps for a tax man? Maybe a holy symbol... Odd how such a man could command such a group.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed January 16 08 ; 8 49 pm

The genial commander glances casually at the paperwork - Kaelie's, first - and smiles. He shows his bald companion the stamp of the Guild of the Crimson Road. "You see, Zeran? Guild mercenaries."

Zeran still insists on checking all three sets of identification papers, but he seems grudgingly satisfied in the end. He leads his horse forward and stops to look back expectantly.

The commander ignores him again. "Truth be told, brigands aren't our concern," he says as he hands back each set of paperwork, "but we can't just turn our backs on lawlessness. I'm sure you three would do the same. Well, I reckon we all have our own duties to attend to. I won't hold you up any longer. Travel safely."

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Thu January 17 08 ; 6 16 am

Morin is burning to know more about this Zeran fellow but simply gives the commander a smile. "Sounds good, sir." He re-packs his document. "You know, sometime when we're both in the Sunset City again, we should gather a few of our men and play at 'Staves.'" Morin grins with genuine mirth, "The Hylean's best against the Guild's. It would be a lot of fun, I wager." He thinks of adding a barb about Hylean softness under Hylean armor, but decides wisely that such a comment might turn a jovial conversation into a nasty one.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu January 17 08 ; 12 11 pm

The commander laughs a little. "These are difficult times," he admits, sparing a bittersweet smile, "but all the more reason to enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself, no? Next time you're in Sunset City, stop by the Hylean embassy. Ask for Captain-Commander Tosh Lightfellow."

Further down the road, Zeran seethes, hissing a sigh through his teeth. Commander Lightfellow nods sadly. "Duty is an impatient mistress," he concedes, taking up the reigns again. He nods to each of the three mercenaries. "Fare well."

And so, the Hyleans pass by on their way into Sunset City. Their highly (and surprisingly) agreeable leader joins his impatient companion and the column of soldiers follows suit.

day 2 of travel
The open road winds eastward and the mercenaries take to it with no more interruption. They pass a steady stream of travelers as they go, from peasants to the occasional noble's coach. The highway crosses a major railway line (no doubt running clear to Veris, the capital) a few hours into the trek. At around midday they run into the Rymmish highway patrol: four horsemen equipped with leather armor, spears and pistols. Like the Hyleans they ask to see paperwork but find no cause to give the mercs trouble.

A small village is reached by nightfall and seems as good a place as any to rest. There are no inns and only one tiny shack that serves as a tavern, but the villagers seem accustomed to letting travelers stay on their property; indeed, a half dozen of them at the "tavern" come to inspect the three mercenaries and barter out some kind of deal. Many of the villagers are put off by Kaelie's bristling armament, but Morin's silver tongue lands them a roof over their heads (even if it is only the roof of a barn).

day 3 of travel
After confirming their heading with the villagers, the mercenaries turn south off the highway on their third day of travel. The road - not as heavily used or maintained as the highway, and never patrolled - gradually becomes rougher and narrower throughout the day. By evening they reach sections of road so infrequently traveled that large patches of grass grow where they please and the mercenaries are forced to stop at one point to move a fallen tree out of their path. Now closer to the hills, the earth is rocky and uneven and arable farmland is sparse in comparison to the endless fenced off fields closer to the city. Here, small thickets of trees, open fields of untamed grass and weeds, and small, rocky hills dominate the landscape.

By night on the third day of travel the mercenaries are almost at their destination. The fading light gives them one brief glimpse of the deep forest surrounding the Heater Hills, now only a handful of miles away. However, legs and backs are sore, the horses seem tired, and man and beast smell nearly the same by now. The mercs face the option of pushing through their exhaustion for perhaps another hour or two (forced march) in order to reach the Copper Penny roadhouse and its comfortable beds early, or to find a place to bed down for the night under the open sky, hope it doesn't rain, and reach the roadhouse first thing in the morning.

[OOC: I'm working on a good calendar system because saying "day 2, day 3, day 4" is going to get really tiresome eventually. It is currently mid summer, but I haven't yet decided on what month or day or whatever it is. Sometimes I wish the DMG came with some preconceived calendar concepts, but they don't really prepare you for anything more than the typical "there is a dungeon; raid it" games where time on an annual scale is meaningless. ANYWAY! I'll try to sort that out soon.

Because money is important in this game, I'm going to keep track of rations and stuff like that. I will edit your sheets accordingly, but I'll always make an OOC note such as this one to let you know when I've deducted rations or other equipment (torches, lamp oil, rope, whatever) as it is used.

Right now, at the end of day 3, you guys have eaten up two days of rations and the horses have eaten up 2 days of feed.

As a result, Dragen and Kaelie are both out of rations. Morin still has 5 days of rations left (holy, what a pig) but Ghengis, I can't update your sheet yet because you haven't yet accepted the invitation to join the campain on the RPGHQ profiler (in the "edit" menu there should be an option to accept the invite). As for the horses, Soutenu (Kaelie's horse) has 3 days of feed left. Logo (Dragen's horse), and Morin's horse with no name (great song!) are both out of feed now.

In future, I might simplify these rations/feed totals like so:

Dragen: 0 days rations, 0 days feed
Kaelie: 0 days rations, 3 days feed
Morin: 5 days rations, 0 days feed

Hope that all makes sense! Remember: room and board are free at the Copper Penny roadhouse while you're dealing with the gnolls.]

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Thu January 17 08 ; 6 26 pm

The road isn't good to the southerner. Good humor and jokes begin the day and Morin tries to teach his new companions a different game of chance every time they take a break (though he acts quite offendedwhen they refuse to gamble with him). But by dusk, Morin's only words are cusses and grumbles as he rubs his aching thighs and behind.

"Well, as much as I'm sure you guys would love to dig into my trail rations, I think we have earned ourselves a real meal, don't you think?" Morin arches an eyebrow, "Let's push on through."
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 2510
Joined: Wed March 28 07 ; 12 50 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Uvuriel » Thu January 17 08 ; 7 08 pm

"I agree," Kaelie says wearily. "Let's push for it. I'm all for a hot bath... Mmmmm, and some good food... Ugh," she says as her belly starts rumbling. "Trail rations only go so far... I wish I could just whip up some forest salad and forest-beast stew like Anathin could... He was a scout on one of my previous missions. The kid could cook anything and make it taste fantastic. And he was kinda cute, too..."

"But anyway, let's keep moving. Maybe once I take a bath, I'll even take you up on a game of gambling."
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu January 17 08 ; 8 06 pm

[OOC: Haven't heard from Hypo for a couple days, but I'm sure he's just busy. ^_^ He's out-voted on the forced march issue anyway, ha ha. Make some Constitution checks please, guys; 1d20+Con modifier. The first one is DC 12, the second is DC 14.]

User avatar
Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 2510
Joined: Wed March 28 07 ; 12 50 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Uvuriel » Thu January 17 08 ; 8 33 pm

Aaw, constitution ftl!! =P

Save 1!
[dice]1d20+1 = 1776253837 [/dice]

Save 2!
[dice]1d20+1 = 1585139032 [/dice]
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Genghis » Fri January 18 08 ; 5 22 am

Check one: [dice]1d20+2 = 1027096829 [/dice]
Check two: [dice]1d20+2 = 1134469213 [/dice]
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri January 18 08 ; 7 31 am

[OOC: sorry.. the semester started back up and I am once again again pulling 5 - 11pm classes after work.. ugh. This week has been hell.. next week I should be better adjusted and my posting will pick back up]

Dragen doesn't have much to say throughout the three day trek spending most of the evenings biting back the throbbing in his shoulder. Not wanting to spend another nite on an uncomfortable ground with pebbles grinding into his shoulder he agrees with the majority vote to press on. He leans forward on Logo, strokes his mane gently for a moment and says softly to the beast We're almost there buddy. Just a litttle further and you'll have something to eat and drink. As they ride on, he continues to stroke the horses mane and pat him on the neck reassuringly.

[dice]1d20+3 = 2007060815 [/dice]

[dice]1d20+3 = 461145472 [/dice]
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Post Reply

Return to “MERCS: Live by the Sword”