01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

In a godless world where atheism is rampant, society is decadent, invention is the future, and where the secrets of arcana have been all but completely forgotten, MERCS follows the harsh but compelling lives of guild mercenaries.

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Post Reply
User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri January 18 08 ; 11 53 am

[OOC: Thanks for the rolls, gang! And Hypo, I'm glad you're concentrating on classes - work hard and kick !@#$ at them! ^__^

Kaelie manages to avoid non-lethal damage and fatigue, but Dragen and Morin feel pretty sore and weary. All three horses are exhausted to the point of shaking, but they'll feel better after a day or two of rest at the roadhouse.

Non-lethal damage for Dragen: [dice]1d6 = 1024760965 [/dice]
Non-lethal damage for Morin: [dice]1d6 = 572018903 [/dice]
Lethal damage for Soutenou: [dice]2d6 = 1922346578 [/dice]
Lethal damage for Logo: [dice]2d6 = 8242235 [/dice]
Lethal damage for America (working title): [dice]2d6 = 1685434589 [/dice]

I'll record this stuff on your sheets. Ghengis, I still don't have editing access to Morin's sheet.]

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri January 18 08 ; 12 07 pm

The last few miles wear on painfully. The pace slows due to weariness and the rapid loss of daylight. After what feels like two hours the mercenaries reach the thick forest blanketing the Heater Hills, and it isn't long before Kaelie spots lantern light between the trees.

The Copper Penny roadhouse is a fine looking two-story log cabin, resembling any other inn to be found in a city, only with a cozy, rustic feel to it. A well-trodden path leads up to the front porch and front door facing roughly south, with full stables built on the east side. On approach one can appreciate why the wealthy flock to the roadhouse while they engage in sport hunting in the woods or simply to get away from whatever stress they think they have in their privileged lives. Closer up, however, signs of disrepair are everywhere.

A round wooden sign inlaid with copper rests flat on the ground beneath the iron brackets that once held it in place above the porch; a few deep gouges, probably from an axe, mar the carved writing. The front door is off one hinge and hangs ajar; a window is broken here and there; two wooden chairs and one stool lie sprawled on their sides on the porch.

There appear to be signs of life inside. All three mercenaries hear footsteps and voices, though they can't make out what is being said.

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Fri January 18 08 ; 3 37 pm

Morin frowns at the ramshackle condition of teh place then nods to his friends. "Could you let me get a little listen of what they're saying while you stable the horses? Sometimes, folks have little trust for mercs and I may learn more about their problems now compared to what they tell us when we make our grand entrance."

OOC: Move Silently [dice]1d20+10 = 406210055 [/dice]
Listen [dice]1d20+4 = 215702463 [/dice]
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 00: The New Leather

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri January 18 08 ; 4 18 pm

The horses seem nervous near the roadhouse, but fortunately their exhaustion keeps them from causing much of a fuss. Morin treads slowly, carefully up the porch steps to try to get an earful of the conversation inside. One of the steps begins to creak under his weight, but in his experience he quickly pulls his foot away, minimizing the noise. Closer to the dangling front door, he can tell he hasn't been heard.

Two people seem to he talking from inside. If Morin gets a little closer, he might be able to steal a glance through the doorway.

"... the chairs?" a gruff male voice is heard saying quietly. "We're missing two, I think."

"And one stool," says a female voice.

"And one stool," the man acknowledges. He sighs.

"We have more than enough seating for now, and the table can be mended with a little work. May is getting pretty good at it," the woman comforts. "May, please check for your father how many nails we have left."

"No, no. Let's all stay put for now; we can see to repairs in the daylight."

An uncomfortable silence falls over the roadhouse.

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Sun January 20 08 ; 7 44 pm

Morin holds his place and waits for his companions. Nothing too shady going on here, but he'll be damned if he wasn't going to offer to help them with some repairs before he left.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Hypo Luxa » Mon January 21 08 ; 8 59 am

exhausted, Dragen leads Logo away from the ramshakles looking for a suitable stable nearby.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Mon January 21 08 ; 6 21 pm

Only a dim glow of moonlight sifts through the trees, but Dragen finds the stables by darkvision. There is room for a dozen mounts, but only one stall is occupied. A single large horse sniffs the air and fixes a big black eye on the Blackmantle, but seems perfectly at home around strangers.

Dragen finds a home for each of the horses. After such a trying journey they will want to be fed and brushed, but for the moment they seem content just to be unsaddled.

User avatar
Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu June 10 04 ; 6 17 am

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Hypo Luxa » Tue January 22 08 ; 8 18 am

Dragen looks around for a little feed or oats or hay, or anything that will satiate them for the time being. He slips back out and makes his way back to where he left his two companions. Hopefully they managed to procure lodging... in his current state, he'd be happy sleeping in teh stall next to Logo
[align=center]

Image[/align]

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue January 22 08 ; 10 10 am

Dragen finds some feed for the weary mounts - free, as part of their agreement. The horses munch happily.

User avatar
Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 2510
Joined: Wed March 28 07 ; 12 50 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Uvuriel » Tue January 22 08 ; 11 19 am

"So what did you hear?" Kaelie asks, jogging up beside her compatriot and trotting her mount behind her. "I assume it's safe, or you wouldn't be putting your horse away..."
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Post by Genghis » Tue January 22 08 ; 11 27 am

"These people are going to need help...in more ways than one. No need for intimidation here." If the group is ready, he'll enter with them, doing his best to look as calm and competent as possible.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue January 22 08 ; 11 52 am

Morin enters through a short foyer, into a cozy parlor room that seems to ordinarily serve as the Copper Penny's common room. Sitting together on one the couches against the far wall is a middle-aged couple and what is presumably their teenaged daughter.

As one might expect, the roadhouse looks as bad inside as it does outside, if not worse: The walls appear scarred by weapon damage and have been stripped bare except for one painting hanging at a queer angle; a coffee table has been split in two down the middle; a couple functional chairs stand righted but distinctly out of place, and shards of earthenware have been swept into a pile in one corner of the room. It looks as though a terrible fight had taken place, though the small family looks unharmed.

All three sets of eyes lock on the mercenaries as they enter. The daughter, her cheeks already wet with tears, squeaks and leaps to her feet, but her mother quickly pulls her down into her lap and cradles her tightly. The father just frowns, waiting to see if his new guests are friend or foe.

User avatar
Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon May 09 05 ; 3 40 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Genghis » Tue January 22 08 ; 2 34 pm

"Morin Sharell of the Guild at your service, folks. Kaelie and Dragen here are two of our organization's finest. We are here to rid you of your problems." The rogue lays his pistol atop one of the tables to punctuate the point. "Looks like you've been hit pretty hard, so I won't trouble you for anything fancy. Even a mug of water would be more than welcome. Then whatsay you folks tell us about what has been going on."

Diplomacy: [dice]1d20+7 = 18767523 [/dice]
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

User avatar
Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl
Posts: 4851
Joined: Thu December 30 04 ; 10 10 pm

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue January 22 08 ; 5 54 pm

[OOC: Nice diplomacy roll! NPC attitudes have adjusted from Unfriendly to Indifferent.]

Mercenaries. The whole family seems to release a collective sigh of relief.

The father stands up. Of average height, but with a solid build, thinning brown hair and a heavy moustache, he looks not unlike a 4/5ths scale version of Otto, the Guildmaster. "Well, I ah.. I'm not sure what to say," the surprised man admits, sounding gruff but polite. He clears his throat, then shakes each of Morin, Kaelie and Dragen's hands one by one. "I'm sorry.. I didn't expect anyone from the Guild to actually show up. My name is Hogan, Hogan Tob. My wife, Nara, my daughter, May."

"How do you do," says Nara. She stands and bobs a small but respectful curtsy. The daughter stands quietly, still visibly shaken. "May, please get the.. our guests some warm cider and put the stew over the fire." The young woman obeys her mother and slips through a door, into the kitchen.

Hogan offers the fancy couches for the weary mercenaries to sit on. Both are made out of a dark red wood and upholstered with a floral print fabric. Compared to being on horseback, the couches look heavenly. "You can thank the gnolls for the mess - they were just here about an hour ago."

User avatar
Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin
Posts: 2510
Joined: Wed March 28 07 ; 12 50 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Uvuriel » Tue January 22 08 ; 8 31 pm

Nearly every fiber in Kaelie's body--especially her back and legs--beg to be enveloped by the wonderful, soft looking couch, but Kaelie stubbornly refuses. She stands, bearing her aches and pains for a bit longer.

"We heard of your troubles with them," Kaelie says, "and we wanted to help you. We got here as quickly as we could. How often do they trouble you? Should we set up a lookout for the night?"
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

Post Reply

Return to “MERCS: Live by the Sword”