01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

In a godless world where atheism is rampant, society is decadent, invention is the future, and where the secrets of arcana have been all but completely forgotten, MERCS follows the harsh but compelling lives of guild mercenaries.

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed April 30 08 ; 6 52 am

I agree. I doubt the gnolls tracked back to the camp, but i also doubt they left anything behind. Still, it's worth having a look.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed April 30 08 ; 4 38 pm

Getting back to the gnoll camp on horseback is much faster, though the narrow path requires that the mercenaries ride in single file. It is a warm and humid day and the flies are out in full force, at times making it difficult to get in a clean breath.

The clearing is as the group left it: muddy and empty but for a fire pit and a large tent at the south end. The body of one dead gnoll lies slumped against a tree where Grash shot him through the head.

Inside the tent is a small bed on a light woven frame, several fine pillows, and even a small table. Lorian must have had the gnolls carry his belongings for him. On the table sits a lamp, a small wooden chest (about 1 foot wide by 8 inches deep and 4 inches tall), five small books, and the remains of food on a plate. Lorian's last breakfast appears to have been interrupted, and it is eerie to contemplate a being as vile as a hellbranded living where the mercenaries now stand.

[OOC: The chest is held closed by a wooden toggle put through a leather loop (a bit like a button) and is opened easily; assuming you guys look, it contains 275 gold coins exactly, in Rymmish mint.]

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Wed April 30 08 ; 6 35 pm

Morin sits watch atop the horse and studies the fine dagger which has now taken up a place of honor on his belt along with the rapier. There was no way he was going to sell it, even if it meant he'd have to toss away his share of the bounty to his new comrades...and perhaps then some.
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Wed April 30 08 ; 7 24 pm

Kaelie browses around the tent, and gives a rough estimate on the coins.

"It disgusts me that beings that live to feed on other people could live in such lavishness as this. It just ain't right..."
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Thu May 01 08 ; 7 12 am

Dragen dismounts and begins to walk toward the tent, then stops, looks at it for a moment, shakes his head and turns back around and walks back to Logo. Grabbing his reins he walks logo over to where Morin is and proceeds to strokes Logo's thick mane and scratched behind the beasts ears. Ever see one of those things before now? A Hellbranded?
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Thu May 01 08 ; 9 54 am

"No," Morin answers, "Just stories...Now I guess we'll have one of our own that I don't have to embellish much." His eyes flicker along the trees vigilantly, "Don't know that I'd want to fight one again anytime soon."

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Thu May 01 08 ; 10 17 am

"Oh come on, now," Kaelie jests. "It wasn't that bad. I mean, other than the not being able to shoot it, and its ability to fly, and how it nearly killed us all... I think we could take another one, easy. Maybe two." She continues rifling through the tent, looking for some way to carry it all back.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Thu May 01 08 ; 1 17 pm

Morin smiles at Kaelie's strong hearing and her retort. His back still ached from the countless barage of missiles of energy that wracked his system. He lifts up his voice deliberately as he continues to talk with Dragen by the horses, "Of course, it was made ALL the worse by Kaelie's ineffectiveness. Shoulda' known that when we decided to go with a woman..."

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Thu May 01 08 ; 1 43 pm

Kaelie turns with a half-amused look on her face.

She grabs her sword.

"Now them are fightin' words. You really want to try and hold to that? Hmm?" But she can't even keep a straight face for the entire threat and laughs as she lets go of her hilt.

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri May 02 08 ; 7 51 am

Dragen jumps in with a laugh Morin, you distract her, I'll get her from behind!
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sat May 03 08 ; 6 04 pm

Morin smiles at his companions antics but never fully lowers his senses. As banged up as he was, he wasn't going to take any chances.

Argis
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl

Post by Argis » Mon May 05 08 ; 3 35 pm

Gravin chuckles at his companions' antics. Mounting up, he waits for them to do the same. With a laugh, he calls "Off to Sunset City!"
"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried" -G. K. Chesterton
"Fact is stranger than fiction, because we create fiction to suit ourselves."- G. K. Chesterton
"A Christian who isn't peculiar has a peculiar Christianity" -Basil Malof
“When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die.”-Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Tue May 06 08 ; 7 25 am

Mounting Logo Dragen says I can hardly wait to get back!
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Tue May 06 08 ; 10 21 am

"Me neither. Though I wonder if I should even bother with a tattoo for this one... I don't have nearly as much credit for killing the thing as you two do..."

Argis
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl

Post by Argis » Tue May 06 08 ; 12 55 pm

"I was thinking about getting some ink on me for this one too. I had a great idea, and I'd be a great story. But now that I think of it, it wouldn't be a good story at all. 'Yes, I helped kill a hell-branded. I missed shooting it several times, and then spent the rest of the time running through the woods trying to catch up to it.
When I got there it was already dead.' I'm sure my future children would be overjoyed listening to that story."
Gravin finishes with a laugh, then his face slips into sadness at the thought of his own people.
"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried" -G. K. Chesterton
"Fact is stranger than fiction, because we create fiction to suit ourselves."- G. K. Chesterton
"A Christian who isn't peculiar has a peculiar Christianity" -Basil Malof
“When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die.”-Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Return to “MERCS: Live by the Sword”