01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

In a godless world where atheism is rampant, society is decadent, invention is the future, and where the secrets of arcana have been all but completely forgotten, MERCS follows the harsh but compelling lives of guild mercenaries.

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Sat May 10 08 ; 6 43 am

"As good as might be expected outside you company, Olivia," Morin answers. "I'll buy you a drink as soon as I get my pay," he promises, "Based on the amount of our most recent contract, I'm guessing I can afford you a house ale at best."
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Uvuriel » Sat May 10 08 ; 8 17 am

"Good time, indeed," Kaelie says with a slight roll of her eyes and a laugh. "The ordeal we just went through was the stuff from which bard's tales are woven. Let me tell you, a simple 'protect the farm' mission took a few unexpected turns."

She plops down into a chair and lays as flat as one can in a chair, and as un-awkwardly as possible with her two-bladed sword still strapped to her back.

"It feels good to be back home."
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Mon May 12 08 ; 7 33 am

trailing behind Kaelie, Dragen makes his way to the bar and calls out for Otto.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue May 13 08 ; 8 32 am

After stabling his horse, Gravin departs to bring Lorian's fake signet ring to be identified at Ashbound College. Though no doubt he'd have to wake some poor college administrator in the middle of the night, one does what one must to get paid!

Meanwhile, the other mercenaries gathered in the chapterhouse commons tilt their ears towards the new arrivals. Olivia quirks a slender eyebrow in anticipation while Soren barks a laugh. "Oh please, how bad could it have been? the Lucorian scoffs, unable to anticipate how he'll eat those words in a moment's time.

Dragen summons Otto, who appears out of his office a moment later, squinting his half-blind eyes beneath a heavy and bushy brow. "Dragen, is it? Must have been a long ride back home - you smell like horse!" says the guildmaster, grinning. "You three have some paperwork for me?"

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Tue May 13 08 ; 10 03 am

"Right here," Morin says, proffering the Tob signature on the contract. He says nothing of the Hellbranded for now.

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed May 14 08 ; 6 49 am

Dragen offers the off handed comment Those gnolls sure had a foul odor about them. I think we did the noses of the world a favor. Say Morin, did you see where our new friend headed off to? I think we need to have a drink to another successful job!
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Wed May 14 08 ; 7 00 am

Kaelie laughs at Soren's scoff. "If only you knew, my friend. Perhaps you wouldn't be laughing." I think my next inking will be a picture of terror, she adds silently. Looking over towards the bar, she hollers out at Otto, "Hey Otto! Where's me ale? A girl's gotta have a good stout drink every now and then, don'tcha know?" She gets up and struts over to the bar. "C'mon now, you and your paperwork... You've got to know by now that it will never marry you."

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed May 14 08 ; 8 19 am

Looking over at Kaelie with a smile Starting without us eh? I guess it's as they say 'ladies first'! Don't get too far ahead!
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed May 14 08 ; 9 11 pm

"Feh!" Otto snorts, grinning a little beneath his bushy moustache. "Kaelie, you have your father's smart mouth, I'll give you that." He accepts Morin's paperwork, giving the mercenary a stout nod of appreciation before lumbering back into his office to review it. Morin knows what the nod means: he's proven here, now. They all are.

"Gnolls, hunh?" Soren asks, sounding somewhat humbled. "Aaagh, I hate those smelly bastards. I hope you gave 'em hell. How many were there? More important - how many got away? Ha!"

Meanwhile, Madam appears - in mid stretch - from beneath an unoccupied table. Spotting Dragen's boots, which she had previously declared her property, she begins to creep towards the mercenary. Wearing a look that says I'm not coming to see you, I just happened to be going this way, she seats herself just within reach and lets out a dignified meow to be sure her presence is noted. Olivia watches the passive-aggressive greeting and pouts, being unable to get within arm's reach of the cat herself without coming away scratched and bleeding.

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Thu May 15 08 ; 6 20 am

Dragen turns his attention to the cat and scratches softly behind her ears and gives her a few slow strokes down her back. As he strokes the soft fur he offers Soren a casual reply They were smelly bastards alright. How many would you say there were Morin? around 10? I didn't exactly take a head count, I was too busy killing the foul beasts.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Thu May 15 08 ; 10 03 am

"Lessee...a trio at the inn...or was it four?...The ones who blasted me in the woods were another four, and then the leader in the camp with his comrades was another five....Plus the, ah, 'other guy'...It was enough." He looks to Olivia, "I still have the scars, scorch marks, and bruises....Wanna see?"

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Thu May 15 08 ; 10 10 am

Kaelie bursts into laughter. She turns around to face Morin. "And you wonder why you have trouble with women!" she exclaims. "Even IF the woman is a mercenary, I'm sure offering to show her your battle wounds is NOT the way to win her heart. Nor is a house ale, my friend."

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu May 15 08 ; 11 55 am

Soren seems humbled indeed by the tale of at dozen or more gnolls slain or sent packing by the new leather. He pipes down and turns his attention back to his game of tiles with Thorn (who had taken the opportunity to move a few tiles around while nobody was watching).

"I'll pass on the peep show," Olivia says, turning up her nose a little. "Cecelia is more the type to go for that sort of thing, but sadly she and Bree are at sea at the moment." She doesn't, however, voice any complaints about the ale.

Madam begins rubbing her face against Dragen's hand, rationalizing to herself that he started the exchange of affection and that it wouldn't be beneath her to return the gesture. She even purrs a little.

"Burn you, Dragen!" Olivia seethes at last. "How do you do that? Do you go down to the docks every day and roll around in the dirt under the fishmonger's stalls?"

"It wouldn't hurt to try," Otto quips just loudly enough to be heard as he returns from his office. He sets a depressingly small bag of coin on the bar top and builds four stacks from it: twelve gold and five silver in each. "Paperwork says you lot are splitting this four ways now? You pick someone up along the way?"

[OOC: I've added 12gp and 4sp to your character sheets. There will of course be a lot more coming when Gravin returns to claim the bounty money. While we're on the subject of money, let me know what you guys are buying at the guildhouse so I can deduct the costs.]

Argis
Shrewd Gamer|Shrewd Gaming Guy|Shrewd Gaming Girl

Post by Argis » Fri May 16 08 ; 1 06 am

OOC- I'm ready to pop back in whenever. Just give me a que.
"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried" -G. K. Chesterton
"Fact is stranger than fiction, because we create fiction to suit ourselves."- G. K. Chesterton
"A Christian who isn't peculiar has a peculiar Christianity" -Basil Malof
“When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die.”-Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Fri May 16 08 ; 4 59 am

Morin idles up to sit by Olivia. He pushes one of his new silvers over the counter and holds up two fingers. Surely, even the house ale was a nice comfort when one was truly thirsty. Still, what tastes all the better to him is the scent of Olivia beside him. What did she bathe with? Lavender-scented soap, something with rose-hips?

"So what have you been up to?" he asks, suppressing the smile at her angst regarding Madam. "I must say I'm surprised, albeit pleasantly, to find you sitting alone here without your 'sisters.'"

Return to “MERCS: Live by the Sword”