01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

In a godless world where atheism is rampant, society is decadent, invention is the future, and where the secrets of arcana have been all but completely forgotten, MERCS follows the harsh but compelling lives of guild mercenaries.

Moderator: Gingerbread Guy

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Re: 01: Checking in at the Copper Penny

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Tue January 22 08 ; 9 43 pm

"A lookout?" Hogan asks, a bit surprised. "We haven't been doing anything like that, but.. well, I'll leave that decision up to you three. If past experience is any indicator, the gnolls aren't likely to be back tonight. They've been coming by once, sometimes twice a week. Usually four of 'em at a time, but not always the same ones, I think. The first time, one of 'em had an eyepatch, but I haven't seen that one since."

The kitchen door opens again. May carries in clay mugs filled with steaming hot cider on a tray. It is only then that she remembers that the coffee table has been split in two; a short stool does the trick instead. Once the tray is set down, the young woman begins passing out the cider, dipping a stick of cinnamon in each as she does so. Shy, or perhaps just anxious around mercenaries, May never makes eye contact with the new guests.

"We have rooms made up upstairs," Hogan continues, "and you're welcome to take your pick. Business has been damn near non-existent over the past couple weeks, so we don't have any other guests."

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Wed January 23 08 ; 6 12 am

Morin nods, "And when they come here...Other than the obvious destruction, what do they do? Drink? Or do they raid the larder as well?"
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Wed January 23 08 ; 8 11 am

Dragen looks around and takes in as much detail as he can but remains quiet as Morin seems to be doing a great job with gaining this families trust.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed January 23 08 ; 8 45 am

Hogan tugs at his moustache thoughtfully. "No, they never take anything. They just smash the place up and give us a good fright. There is a big one that will eat anything left out, but it seems a little strange that they don't take more, now that you mention it. If they wanted to raid our supplies, they could have. I haven't any idea what they want. They don't talk, they just make these growling noises like dogs and push us around."

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Wed January 23 08 ; 11 18 am

"Hrm," Morin adds as the pieces of this new puzzle swirl about in his mind. "Do they go to other rooms as if looking for someone or something or do they confine themselvs to this room here?"

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Wed January 23 08 ; 12 11 pm

Hogan thinks this over as well. "They've been upstairs in the rooms once or twice, but they just seem to enjoy breaking things and giving us a good scare." The man looks as though he'd swear a blue streak if his daughter wasn't present in the room.

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Wed January 23 08 ; 12 16 pm

"Sounds like bullies to me," Kiira murmurs. "Well, if we'll be safe until morning, at least, I'm about to fall asleep on my feet... I think we should get some rest so we can put a plan of attack together tomorrow. What say you?"
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Wed January 23 08 ; 6 23 pm

"I agree, though we may have to consider that if these things aren't complete morons, they're trying to get attention...maybe even from us."

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Thu January 24 08 ; 8 47 am

Well, they got our attention.. but lets find somewhere to rest. I can hardly stand any longer. Dragen says with a yawn of exhaustion
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Thu January 24 08 ; 1 38 pm

The mercenaries are shown into a fancy dining room and treated to a fine meal of lamb stew in generous proportions, along with bread, cheese, fruit, and more warm cider to wash it down. Though Nara insists that business hasn't been good enough to afford more than "simple fare", the quality of the meal is fit for nobility. In fact, everything about the roadhouse is made for the upper crust.

Just as Hogan promised, the mercs have their pick of the comfortable rooms upstairs. Each has a large bed as well as dressers, locking armoires, and a writing desk and chair. While some rooms are smaller than others, they're all heavenly compared to the cramped, spartan quarters most mercenaries are used to at guild safehouses. The Tob family shares a simple room to themselves on the ground floor.

[OOC: The night is uneventful and everyone gets some much-needed sleep. By morning everyone is back up to full hitpoints and fatigue disappears (sheets are updated accordingly). The horses are still pretty sore from the forced march, however. What do you folks do next?]

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Thu January 24 08 ; 2 25 pm

Morin awakens refreshed, happy, and eager to help. He confides in his companions first. "If either of you have tracking abilities, we could try to find them, but if not, we shouldn't bother; we may moev around them instead."

The mercanry wrings his hands together, "But I have a cunning plan..." He lets exagerrated delight fills his expression. "What say we act the part of simple laborers, family maybe, makeing repairs whe the gnolls next return. I can do a great job of feigning terror and keep my clothes on over my armor." He looks to Dragen, "You could be waiting just inside the doorway, and you," he looks to his female companion, "well, no offense, but gnolls are proabbly just as masogynistic as most men and won't see you as a threat, especially if you're wearing some sort of skirt or blouse over your armor. With the element of surprise, we can hopefully take down two before their weapons are out, then we can concentrate on finishing a third, maybe capturing the fourth."

Morin is literally bouncing on his toes with the idea. "So whaddya think?"

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri January 25 08 ; 7 44 am

Waking up, the first thing Dragen notices is the horrible throbbing in his shoulder has left. He also notices, for the first time, just how nice the room is compared to what he's used to. He sits on the edge of the bed and gathers his thoughts and finally makes his way down to where his companions are. Noting that Morin seems excited about something he immediately makes his way over.

After Morin spills the idea out, Dragen thinks for a moment and lets a grin spread across his lips and he simply gives Kaelie a playful glance before answering Morin with Well, I'm not one for tracking. I do like your idea. Nice and simple and we'd definitely take them by surprise. I'm up for it.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Uvuriel
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Uvuriel » Fri January 25 08 ; 10 19 am

Kaelie laughs aloud as Morin bounces.

"I absolutely love it. However, I think I'll just dress up as a boy. Skirts are... not easy to fight in. We can hide our weapons out in the fields so they're easily accessible. And heck, we could legitimately help out while we're here. I feel like doing some hard labor for a while, especially with the beds we'll get to sleep in each night!!"
[font=Century Gothic]That is it!! Roll for initiative.
I hope you like pain.[/font]
My Myspace page! (And my beach!)

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Fri January 25 08 ; 11 15 am

"Nice! You guys are great to work with! And I'm with you about the helping out; what better way to make things look convincing than to actually work with these guys?"

Morin looks about the place with unrestrained glee. "As long as we aren't out in force at one time, they shouldn't get scared off. And we aren't in the fields at the time, we can stash our weapons in the inn."

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri January 25 08 ; 1 46 pm

Dragen shakes his head and chuckles I guess I'll be the one fighting them off while you guys run out to get your weapons. If your lucky, I might even leave a couple for you guys to play with... but only because I like you.
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Return to “MERCS: Live by the Sword”