Meeting of strangers

Within the masks hold the power of all magic: divination, illusion, evocation, necromancy, abjuration, conjuration, enchantment, and alteration. With such, one can rule the world... Can a band of heroes find the masks and resist the temptation of domination?

Moderator: Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa
Jr. Admin
Jr. Admin

Meeting of strangers

Post by Hypo Luxa » Fri November 02 07 ; 8 57 am

Our story begins as each one of you enter the city of Danzen and locate the local tavern for a drink and a meal after traveling for whatever reason. You enter the tavern and are immediately greeted by the smell of a burning fire and warm food. The smell of mead and ale tickle your tastebuds and invite you to come into the warm cozy tavern. As you enter, you are greeted by the barkeep who looks like a normal jovial fellow, but for some reason doesn't seem so jovial at the moment.

He greets with a a gruff 'ello. Sit anywhere ye like. Can I be getting ye something to drink? You immediately take notice of the lack of patrons for such a large town and a lack of loud boisterous conversation. Instead the few people watch as you enter and resume hushed conversations and whispers across the tables. You find a table and as you sit the barkeep plops a tankard on the table causing a small amount of the liquid you requested to spill over the edge and onto the table which is instantly soaked up by the dry wood.

You see another patron enter and can tell from the sudden halt of conversation and long looks, this new comer is not from around here either...
[align=center]

Image[/align]

Gingerbread Guy
Scholarly Gamer|Scholarly Gaming Guy|Scholarly Gaming Girl

Re: Meeting of strangers

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri November 02 07 ; 4 30 pm

Mason immediately regretted bellowing "Let the party begin!" as he shoved the tavern door open and made his dramatic entrance. He found the place disappointingly quiet and dreary, and the bright smile he had worn across his face quickly melted into a frown. All around him, nothing but a handful of quiet peasants already turning back to their drinks.

"Wha.. What the hell is this?" the muscular young man mutters to himself, but loudly enough for most of the tavern to hear anyway. "Am I in the wrong damn.." he trails off as he steps back outside for a moment to look at the tavern sign post and frown up and down the street before ducking back into the sleepy tavern. He stands in the doorway scratching his head, running fingers through a chaotic mess of short red hair that seemed to stand straight up of its own will. "Oh come on you god-cursed peasants," he complains, "wouldn't know a good time if one ran up your pant legs."

The loudmouthed stranger - dressed in simple trousers and a vest in earthen tones - finds his way to a table, followed by the quiet kli-klop, kli-klop of his wooden sandals on the floor. "Boy, this is a sorry sight," he diagnoses as he gets further into the tavern. "We need to get some alcohol flowing - only way to save this party."

No sooner had he sat down, Mason suddenly rises to his feet, thrusting a triumphant finger in the air and nearly knocking his chair back behind him. "A round of drinks on me!" he bellows. "No, wait, hold on.. one, two.." He quietly counts the number of patrons in the bar, then peeks into his very light coin purse. A shrug. "Yeah, okay, a round of drinks on me, still!" He sits down again, leaning back into his chair and crossing his arms self-satisfied over his chest.

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Fri November 02 07 ; 9 13 pm

"I'll take some of that Minotaur Brandy, then!"

The playful voice comes from a young woman sitting at the bar, wearing a rather frumpy looking outfit. The clothes seem newly made, right out of a child's imagination of what a real, live adventurer might wear. Breeches that sag, even while seated on the barstool are tucked into shiny black leather boots. A muted green tunic does nothing to accentuate an already rather unimpressive chest. And the short, blonde hair looks as if the aforementioned minotaur hacked away at it with a carving knife. The woman turns to regard the loudmouthed stranger, and it is there, at least, that some trace of beauty exists. Her face is youthful, her eyes much too large for such a skinny frame and a small mouth. But the genuine glimmer in those baby blues is akin to that of a child caught with one finger in the pie and the other in her mouth. She turns back to the barkeep, "You did say that was the rarest drink you served, didn't you?"
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Fri November 02 07 ; 11 23 pm

It is at this point that Mason would usually cross his arms over his chest and put on a self-satisfied smirk for effect, but he was already doing both. Instead, he tries to frown, but quickly finds himself coming up with a humbled grin. "Okay, that actually was pretty funny. Maybe there is some life in this place after all."

The redhead abandons his table in exchange for a seat beside the smart-mouthed and suddenly very interesting young woman at the bar. His hazel eyes give her the once over. "Forget the round of drinks and get the lady her brandy," he asks of the barkeep without taking his gaze from the girl. "You want the strongest brandy in the house, do ya? You can't weigh six stone soaking wet holding a brick. This I have to see."

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sat November 03 07 ; 8 31 am

Her smile widens to expose a pair of matched dimples in her cheeks. "It depends of the type of brick, really: clay or granite?"

Still, she doesn't turn her nose down at the offer of a drink that is likely to floor her. In fact, she gives the large man an appraising look herself, "I figure you carry maybe twice my weight, yes? Perhaps you should follow up with twice then what I drink, and we shall see who is the hardier for it." She leans in and mock whispers to him, "I would suggest we switch over to whatever human-crafted knock-off of dwarven whiskey they have, though...At least if you don't want to spend a gold per gulp."

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sat November 03 07 ; 10 43 am

The young woman's estimation is pretty accurate: the red-haired stranger is powerfully built but almost dangerously lean at the same time; enough of both that a large tattoo of a fiery sun on his right arm appears to flicker with the movement of every sinew beneath it. He seems to have other tattoos, such as a simplistic depiction of a human eye on the back of each hand and what appears to be the head of a dragon snaking out of his vest at his left shoulder. Close enough to whisper, the red-haired man smells strongly of wood smoke.

Grinning at the woman's wit, Mason upends his coinpurse on the counter top and draws aside three gold coins; what is left is but a sad collection of silver and copper that will at best afford him food and shelter for a few days, perhaps upwards of a week if he isn't a picky eater. "Perfect!" he exclaims loudly, slapping a palm on the bar hard enough to make the coins jump and the sun tattoo ripple. "Just enough for three. Pour 'em, barkeep."

He glances over his shoulder to see if any of the dreary patrons are taking an interest in his impromptu wager with the skinny blonde girl.

wildfox
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl

Meeting of strangers

Post by wildfox » Sat November 03 07 ; 6 23 pm

From a table at the back a tall muscular man starts to amble over leaving his possessions propped against his original seat in a neat, if not some what large bundle.
His attire seemingly all black and simple material clung to his body underneath a shell of black hide armor, despite the tight armor and his hardy build he manages to navigate through the tables and other patrons deftly.

His blank face, hidden in the shadows of a wide brimmed hat, silently takes in the other two boisterous individuals, staring intently with cold blue eyes and a face seemingly made of granite.
After a few moments pause he opens his mouth.
"This I have to see, neither of you look like you could handle a single mug of ale."
Without waiting for an invitation he seats himself at the bar next to the two, throwing his hat onto the counter revealing a mass of long wavy black hair that spills down to join a rough beard sprouting on his face.
Cracking a small smile.
"Barkeep, I have my own coin, I'll match whatever it is they drink and then some."

Turning his icy gaze to his new potential drinking partners Durahn sizes them both up one more time, his eyes linger a little longer on them then one would think it takes to size up a drinking opponent, then returns to facing straight ahead.
"That is if neither of you have any objections to being floored by me."

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sat November 03 07 ; 9 04 pm

"Hmm," the girl says, sticking her chin out and pouting her best despite the pull at the corners of her mouth, "I suppose..." she drags out, "if I'm to topple one giant, I might as well make it two." She holds up both her index fingers and folds them down to elaborate, just to be sure.

She looks from her left to her right and giggles, "This is quite the pretty picture we make. I doubt anyone will be able to see me sitting here between you two monoliths; not that I think anyone is likely to contest a seat flanked by such brutes anyway." The tiny blond reminds herself that she is attracted to scholarly men. The red flush that rises in her cheeks at the thought betrays her for the five-hundredth time in her life (though she had started counting late in life and gave up after reaching but 94; alas, this milestone would never be noted...)

To cover up her embaressment she feigns a cough, "I'm Arell, by the way." She puts a heavy emphasis on the first syllable and shortens the second, making it sound like Ah-rel to the ear. "Thought you should know before we're incapable of speech whatsoever."

Gargoyal
Gamer|Gamer Guy|Gamer Girl

Post by Gargoyal » Sun November 04 07 ; 5 15 am

The door creaked open and in walked a figure wearing a black cloak that looked like it had seen better days. Mud coated the edges of the cloak and the boots he wore. A pair of dark green pants and shirt could be seen through the small opening in the front of the cloak. He carried a small pack and book on a thick leather strap. He walked over to the end of the bar and put his pack on the floor next to the stool he sat in, but kept the book on.

Ill have an ale.

As he scanned the room, you could see his thin face with amber eyes, and ears that seemed a little large, pausing on each other patron for only a second or two. That is, until he saw the others at the bar. A woman stuck between two men. A little odd that the men were still standing and that the woman wasn't screaming like a banshee. Strange as it was, he kept his mouth shut and waited for his drink.

wildfox

Post by wildfox » Sun November 04 07 ; 6 54 am

Seemingly oblivious to Arells red cheeks and embarrasment Durahn continues to stare straight ahead and lets out a large sniff.
"Ho,quite confident I see, that makes it all the sweeter when I win."
"... and the name is Durahn."
Seeming already tense Durahn cranes his neck enough to take in the new comer.
Noting that the cloaked man is a satisfactory distance from his belongings he turns his head back to face forward.
For some reason however his muscles have tightened some what.
A ... book? Odd.
"Whats say we make this a little more interesting, a wager perhaps, nothing fancy, a copper just so the winner has something to show for it."
At the thought of a little wager Durahns already minimal smile widens just a fraction.

"Mmmmm a little risk is always the best drink partner." Breaks from his lips in a pleased whisper, seemingly more to himself then anyone else.
Last edited by wildfox on Sun November 04 07 ; 8 13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sun November 04 07 ; 7 45 am

Arell laughs at the suggestion, realizes just how loud she is, covers her mouth and snorts instead. She lowers her hand and puts on her best serious face. "I don't know...my folks raised me to avoid such bad habits. Now where's that brandy, so you two can serve as the tavern's next carpet?"

Arell intentionally waits after speaking before she follows the look that Durahn had cast behind him; no need to stare at the fellow. Instantly she notices the book, but represses the urge to go over and ask about it. He could be another evangelist with an edition of salvation before him.

Gargoyal
Gamer|Gamer Guy|Gamer Girl

Post by Gargoyal » Sun November 04 07 ; 8 32 am

Becoming increasingly bored wile waiting for his drink, the man pulls his book up from his side and places it on the counter with a loud thud. He then opens the books and inside are runes and symbols that sometimes seems to absorb light one second then shine the next even if there wasn't enough light for them to shine.

After muttering a few unrecognizable words, he closes the book and places it back by his side with an extremely pleased look on his face. Then a few seconds later, what looked like the cleanest cup on the shelf starts to float. It proceeds to fill itself and ends up right in front of the cloaked figure, who starts to drink from it the moment it set down on the counter infront of him.

wildfox

Post by wildfox » Sun November 04 07 ; 3 48 pm

Twisting his mouth unpleasantly around the words "Bad Habit?" muttered under his breath Durahn raises an eyebrow at the new comers magical feat while following the glass with his eyes.
Sitting up straight he swings his head sharply to face him.
"Thats quite a fine skill you have their stranger, perhaps we would get our drinks faster asking you to serve us instead of this fool barkeep."
Letting his eyes shift quickly to the book and back again he seems to nervously lick his lips before turning his head to face forward again.
"I was curious as to why a traveller would carry a book in plain sight as opposed to one of these."

Durahns hand moves to stroke a hand axe hanging from his belt.
"Never had much liking for magic myself, I've always put my trust in a cold, hard blade."
Clamping his mouth shut as if he had realised he had said to much his eyes seemed to take on an annoyed gaze, perhaps more at himself for a slip of the tongue then anything else.

Gingerbread Guy

Post by Gingerbread Guy » Sun November 04 07 ; 6 17 pm

The redheaded man's smile only brightens as the other two men join them at the bar, even if they are a little peculiar. "Well, Arell," he says, making a point to pronounce the name the way she had, "Durahn, I'm Mason. I think we have a wager going!"

He leans back on his stool, balancing precariously to get a look at the newcomer at the end of the bar. Durahn had already invited him in on the little game, and Mason hoped he would join: the more the merrier. "What do you say, stranger? A chance at a few easy copper has to be more interesting than whatever's in that book," he suggests with a grin. "Maybe you have some sort of magicwhatzit in there that can give you the edge."

Mason reaches into his rapidly-emptying coin purse and turns up a copper piece. "I'd better put my money up front! Between your magic, Durahn's axe and Arell's dimples, I'd be in far more than I could handle I couldn't pay up. Not that I'm going to lose, of course!" Aside from his size and strength, and perhaps something hidden in the duffle bag resting under his stool, Mason carries no weapons.

wildfox

Post by wildfox » Mon November 05 07 ; 3 08 am

Upon Masons approval of a wager Durahns face breaks into the first real smile its had since arrival.
"Ah good man, Mason is it? Well this should turn out to be quite interesting."
Durahn reaches into his belt pounch and fishes out a copper piece and places it on the bar infront of him.

Turning his eyes onto Arell he says, perhaps a bit forcefully "Perhaps you'd reconsider your stance on a bit of fun Arell?"
Aftering looking down at the young woman his head snaps round to face the stranger.
"And you magic man? Willing to lay down a copper for a bit of extra fun?"

Turning his head forward once again he lets out a loud bark that causes the other patrons seated at the tables to jump "Barkeep! Service!"

Return to “[MoD] Prelude”