Generic OOC Topic

4e</br></br>

The town of Winterhaven stands watch over a ruined keep that was once a bastion of good in the realm. This keep overlooks the Shadow Rift, a dark scar in the world that was once a gateway to the Shadowfell but has been dormant for many years. Now, an evil cleric of Orcus, Demon Lord of the Undead, seeks to re-open the gate, and the only thing standing in his way is a small yet determined band of heroes.

Moderator: TypoPanther

TypoPanther
Astute Gamer|Astute Gamer Guy|Astute Gamer Girl

Generic OOC Topic

Post by TypoPanther » Tue August 19 08 ; 2 48 pm

Any OOC comments questions or just general chatter here. Nothing fancy :)
[align=center]=^oO^= ~Typo Panther~ =^Oo^=

If you do not believe in something, you will fall for anything.[/align]

Abelard

Re: Generic OOC Topic

Post by Abelard » Sun August 31 08 ; 11 37 pm

Regarding die rolls and when to make them; my two cents:

TP, I see why you wouldn't want rolls until requested - it helps keep the game orderly. However, I'm wondering if it also slows it down too much. For example, if I had said that Eketal was looking into the bushes (which I know I didn't), then you'd probably have to come back to me asking for a Perception roll, and then wait until I made it before moving forward. That's probably a day delay.

I've got the feeling that we're all pretty experienced players here - maybe not so much with this edition, perhaps, understandably! If we can help move the game along by making a check that is a direct result of something we say we're doing, I don't think it will hurt the flow. If you deem the check is worthless or not needed, you can tell us either in game or OOC. Or if you want a different check, then it's no extra time as if we hadn't made it at all.

Another example - when my players find a door, the first thing they do is have the thief check for traps. She rolls a Perception check before I even finish describing the door in wonderfully lavish detail. 9 times out of 10, especially at second level, the door is not trapped (it's usually not even locked), but the 10% of the time it is, there's no awkward pause while I ask, "So... anyone going to check the door?" Check rolled. If she is distracted, I may give her a gentle reminder, but as an experienced gamer, she knows what she has to do to keep the game moving along (in that scenario, at least - in combat, she takes f o r e v e r!!! LOL!).

I think we should also try to move the game along. So we make a bunch of rolls that end up being unnecessary. It just ends up increasing the thread's page count, so it looks like we're all really dedicated to the game! :lol:

Of course, YMMV. Up to you, TypoPanther...
Deroj, Human Thief with Elementalist apsirations in The Children of the Phoenix (Earthdawn)

Vroomfondel, Gnome Druid (accompanied by Zook the wolf) in Inwards (D and D 3.5)

Eketal Donnson, Human Wizard in Keep on the Shadowfell (D and D 4e)

TypoPanther

Post by TypoPanther » Mon September 01 08 ; 12 43 am

That is a valid point. Perception checks are probably the main ones that will come up anyway... I can always just say that you don't see anything out of normal.

Okay then, so you can make the rolls on your own. If I feel like it's getting into the way too much etc. I will deal with it, but for now, werks. Gonna go edit the other post now.

Thanks for your thoughts. Tables can be so much easier sometimes, haha.

StormElfstone
Seasoned Gamer|Seasoned Gaming Guy|Seasoned Gaming Girl

Post by StormElfstone » Fri September 05 08 ; 2 52 pm

Umm a little help with rules on immobilisation please? What save do I need to roll? (If you could tell me where to look in PHB that would be grand)
Thanks ^_^
[font=Times New Roman]Run for the hills before they burn,
Listen to the sound of the world and watch it turn,[/font]

My YouTube Channel

TypoPanther

Post by TypoPanther » Fri September 05 08 ; 5 38 pm

It's in the combat section somewhere. You only roll saves for effects at the end of your turn, unless you use a power that states otherwise. I think someone can also make a standard action DC 15 Heal check or something like that to grant you an immediate save.

But, for now you can't move. You can still attack and be pushed pulled or dragged, I believe, but no shifting or anything. So you have to go through at least your round, and then roll 1d20, if it's 10+ you save, if not, it's still there until the end of next round where you try again. There are no modifiers unless you have something that states otherwise, etc. :)

Genghis
Master Gamer|Master Gaming Guy|Master Gaming Girl

Post by Genghis » Fri September 05 08 ; 6 53 pm

Gotta love a first level character doing a maximum 27 points with a critical using the daily power in her first attack with a magical weapon!!! Boo-ya! Go Desdemona; the gods are good!!

I'm also glad this one isn't a minion... :D

Oh yeah, and I forgot the +2 flanking bonus so if the second one has a really low AC (??)...
Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Abelard

Post by Abelard » Fri September 05 08 ; 9 58 pm

When you use an action point, you get one action: minor, move, or standard (PHB p. 286). So you can't shift one square before making an attack with the action point.

Doesn't it suck that they took away the free 5-foot step? :)

Also, don't forget that a cleric using Healing Word is only a minor action, so you would still get your move and standard actions, wildfox. They reduced the number you can cast in a day, but made it easier to cast so the cleric can actually do other things.
Deroj, Human Thief with Elementalist apsirations in The Children of the Phoenix (Earthdawn)

Vroomfondel, Gnome Druid (accompanied by Zook the wolf) in Inwards (D and D 3.5)

wildfox

Post by wildfox » Sat September 06 08 ; 3 41 am

holy cheese wizz! only a minor action? excellent - cheers Abelard for the tip. Typo would you mind if I add a little something to my move then. (I did post something more before, but I got rid of it till I get your say so.)
Last edited by wildfox on Sat September 06 08 ; 3 57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sat September 06 08 ; 6 34 am

Oh, right on about the action point. If my 27 damage drops the bugger, I guess I can't use it then. If not, then I would have...

TypoPanther

Post by TypoPanther » Sat September 06 08 ; 9 06 pm

yeah that's fine wildfox, I was wonderin' why thats all you did but I didn't ask, haha.

TypoPanther

Post by TypoPanther » Sat September 06 08 ; 11 14 pm

Genghis, I'm assuming you still were going to use the action point anyway to try and take the Kobold out.

I really hate missing on an action point, it makes me feel cheated.

Anyway, sorry ahead of time that there are going to be so many clarifications. There are so many powers and effects and such that need to be resolved. Interrupts especially.

Also, just to make sure you are aware, be very sure to be aware if a creature has marked you. From now on I will put on little indicators (probably a block of color) to signify if you're marked by something or if you are marking that. Be sure you are aware of the consequences of not attacking your mark. And be sure to use it too if you have it. The Paladin and Swordmage ones are particularly good (nudge nudge).

Genghis

Post by Genghis » Sun September 07 08 ; 5 54 am

Effect on natural 20 on Kobolds in previous editions:
Player: "I got a natural 20! That's 27 points of damage!"
DM: Damn, well, that's going to knock the little bugger down to -23... "The kobold more ruptures in a frenzy of blood and entrails that actually dies. Gore splatters your armor, your friends, and a passing rabbit 10 yards away who was tempted to become a carnivore but now has an epiphany as to why its race is a carrot-eating-pacifist one. The other kobolds quake in terror at the sight of the remaining leg stumps of their former companion!"

Effect of natural 20 on Kobolds in 4th Edition:
Player: "I got a natural 20! That's 27 points of damage!"
DM: "Instead of falling like she hoped, the Kobold only glares at her and steadies it's shield."

*sigh*

BTW, Oops about the armor; someone told me about it, so I changed the value of my armor to 2 but never write in that "Chainmail" had become "Leather" or erased my penalties for heavier armor. I'll go in and modify it, though it shouldn't effect my 19 AC since my chain apparently was only provding 2 points of armor potection anyway.

TypoPanther

Post by TypoPanther » Sun September 07 08 ; 6 17 pm

Well if you had gone for a minion it would have been -26 so... haha. All the minions seem kinda like that, but these Dragonshield's are pretty nasty.

Abelard

Post by Abelard » Wed October 08 08 ; 6 09 am

Have a great trip, TypoPanther!

So... are we officially on hiatus?

Return to “Keep on the Shadowfell”